Dripping Faucet / Stuck Screw

Users who are viewing this thread

ElCid2000

Reaction score
Hello there guys and girls, I've got a problem that I sure could use some help with.

My house is 21 years old and the washer in my upstairs shower hot water handle has given up the ghost. I am just recently unable to turn the water completely off and I have a drip of approximately three gallons every 12 hours.

The problem is that I can not remove the screw holding the hot water handle on. I've tried all kinds of penetrating sprays, a little heat, I put a screwdriver in the screw head and gave it a couple of whacks and tried tightening then loosening it. I'm not wasting the water, I catch it and water the animals and plants with it, I just want to get this drip fixed.

I'm guessing that the screw is cross threaded; but would be willing to try any other remedies to get that screw loose. If it is cross threaded, what then?

If you require any additional information, I'll be glad to provide it.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A picture would help...but gennerally there are some neat tools to get out stripped screws.....Sears has a set called "screwzout"...it is like a drill bit tip, but backwards. You apply it to the screw head with some pressure, and gently tap the drill in reverse...it bites and removes it. If all else fails, you just take a bit about 3/8" and take the head completely off the screw. When working on old faucets, you have to accept that some parts may be fatally damaged in disassembly, so post that pic first, and we can tell you if or how easily you will be able to find replacement parts.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I removed all three screws for hot/cold/diverter with those sears/craftsman easy outs before the other guy could run to the truck to get the sawzall. I don't have much luck with them grabbing screws. But to annhilate a screw head and make handle removal easy, yeah, go with them sears easyouts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

Drill the head off the screw, remove the handle, then remove the remainder of the screw with a pair of pliers. If it breaks off, then use a small hacksaw to carefully remove about 1/8" of the stem and when you twist it off, it will usually unscrew the bolt with it.

ElCid2000

Reaction score
Stuck handle not the screw......

I stand corrected, the screw is out, it's the handle that won't come off. Anyway, any ideas on how to remove the handle?

(I had a screw stuck in something else and was mixing the two incidents up in my head.)

Thanks,
Michael

ElCid2000

Reaction score
OK, I got the handle and a 21/32" brass nut off. Problem is, there is another brass nut that appears to need a 26/32" (13/16') as the 27/32" of my tub and valve socket is too large and will round off the corners of the nut. I do have a 13/16" socket but it is no where deep enough to work in this situation. I've looked all over the handles and spout and I don't see any brand name.

So, as of now I'm at a standstill and the drip is still dripping. :rolleyes:

***This picture is not exactly what I'm dealing with but it's a pretty good example, at least the parts that stick out of the wall that is.***

If I haven't mentioned it yet, you guys /girls are a great help, thank you.

Any more ideas?

Finished.JPG

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh now you need yet more tools...
A faucet wrench set...

5672449.jpg

And, a seat wrench set...

3185ETSHF6L_SL500_AA200_.jpg

ElCid2000

Reaction score
5672449.jpg

I've already been through one of these sets and none of them fit. Are there specific manufacturers that use non-standard fittings? I would figure that the original builder used the cheapest faucets known to man like they did with everything else in this house but don't get me started on that.

3185ETSHF6L_SL500_AA200_.jpg

After looking around on the net, I can't figure out "exactly" what this tool does. Do I use this after I remove that 27/32" nut that I'm currently unable to move?

I was figuring that once I got the second nut off, the entire valve was coming out and I could replace the washer. Is this not the case?

Thanks for your patience, I'll eventually get this figured out and fixed.

Michael

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One of those sockets should fit. I have never met a stem yet that they didn't fit.

The other wrench set removes the seat which you can get to one the stem has been removed. The seat looks similar to the picture below.

redwood-faucet-seat.jpg

Often the seat becomes rough or has a groove eroded into it which makes it difficult for the washer to seal and tends to chew up new washers. Replace the seat for a long lasting repair.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I didn't have the puller with me in the bag I took inside so I just banged on the handles with pump pliers and they came off. We were gutting the shower by the way for a whole new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks