What makes you think it is not an A/S ???
Does anybody here recognize this valve? If so a model name or number would be much appreciated!
The cover plate says American Standard at the bottom. It is in a building that was built circa 1964 and may be original. The only lettering I can find on the valve body itself are the words "shower" and "tub" on the respective fittings.
It is leaking out the valve stem when turned on. Since the only access to the valve is through the tub tile-work I would very much prefer to find replacement parts rather than replacing the entire valve.
It probably was A/S, just long discontinued or something. I have looked all over http://www.americanstandard-us.com/ and not seen anything similar. Given how their site is organized is is also possible I missed something.
Last edited by quaker_emu; 04-29-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: additional info
American Standard "Pull and turn". There is a replacement mechanism that bolts to the body and replaces that "Mickey Mouse" assembly. I do not remember off hand who makes it, but might be able to track it down.
If it is not too much trouble to track down the "Mickey Mouse" replacement I would appreciate it - especially if it would allow one to use a "normal" cartridge assembly without replacing the valve body. In the meantime I'll call A/S 800 number and see if I can get anywhere with them.
Last edited by quaker_emu; 04-29-2009 at 11:46 AM.
The woman on the A/S 800 number referred to plumbingpartsdepot.com which in turn has an exploded view diagram of the valve
[p 1 is the exploded view of this valve and p 2 is a parts list.]
It looks like that nut on the end of the stem that looks like a packing nut may in fact be a packing nut. Nothing is ever as simple as it should be but that is a very promising development .
Last edited by quaker_emu; 04-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
I turned off the shutoff valves shown above, removed the packing nut and found ... no packing! The back of the packing nut had a groove for an O-Ring so I found an appropriate sized one (#83), put it back together and turned on the water. No more leak around the stem!!! Woohoo!
While it is annoying that somebody previously put the valve back together without the packing O-Ring, this fix was a lot better alternative than shutting off water to an entire high-rise, making a mess out of the tile and spending half a day soldering through a little hole in the wall.
Thanks so much for your help.