Water Ace Jet Pump pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

fatcats7

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the pump to my shallow well. I had a Myers 1/2 hp jet pump and replaced it with a water ace 1/2 hp jet pump. M foot valve is in the well at about 23 ft. I have a water softener and I have the psi cut on and off set at 40-60.

Whenever I am calling for water a long time or at multiple locations the pump cannot keep up. once the pump comes on at 40 psi, the pressure continues to drop unitl eventually I lose prime and start sucking in air.

Did I just buy a crappy pump or is there some adjustment I can make to fix this issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Iam fairly handy and know a bit about plumbing so I don't mind trying to fix it. If the advice is call a pro, then I will.

Thanks
Mike

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Check the water level in the well when this is happening. If the water level pulls down to the foot valve, then your well is not making enough water. If the water level stays high in the well, then the pump system is the problem.

fatcats7

Reaction score
There is plenty of water in the well, the foot falve is at least 6 feet below the surface of the water.

Sounding more and more like a crappy pump.

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your water level may change when the pump is running.

Yes you bought a crappy pump, but it should work similar to the old pump unless you have an air leak. That is the most common thing that happens when a pump is switched out.

bob...

fatcats7

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check for air leaks, is there a common place that they occur? I'll check the level of the well while the pump is running, but there is a lot of water in the well, so I am pretty certain it is not getting down to the foot valve.

This problem only seems to happen when I run the hose for more than 10 minutes or I start the washing machine. The washing machine is not an everytime occurance either, sometimes it works fine. I can run my shower for hours-no problem.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Air leaks can be anywhere in the suction line.

What you are describing is a lack of water in the well. When you try to use too much, the pump can't keep up because the water in the well is pulling down or just not getting into the casing fast enough.

bob...

fatcats7

Reaction score
If I cut the valve to the hose back and only open it half way, the pump maintains a steady 38psi. If I open it up all the way, kaplooey, pressure goes down and prime is lost.

I understand what you are saying about the water level being low, but when I open the top of the well and look into it, there is no way it is below the foot valve.

I drained my hot water heater a couple of weeks ago and flushed it out, ran water into that for a while and no problems. I turn the hose on outside and lose pressure.

I know this sounds crazy! and I agree, why one source causes this and none other, I find perplexing. If it was a air leak wouldn't I have constant problems no mater where I was drawing water? If there was a hole in the bladder of the expansion tank, the problem would not be isolated to just the outdoor hose.

I think I will be calling a professional soon, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks for all the advice and help to all who have answered, if I call someone out, I'll be sure to post what the issue was.

Mike

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You are getting answers from pros.

You need to run enough water until the problem occurs and then check the water level immediately.

IOWs, run many gpm and watch the water level, if you run out of water and get air, and there is water above the foot valve, the pump is cavitating or you have an air leak at that level in the well. If the water gets down to the foot valve, you're using too much water for the well's production.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks