powering sprinklers from hose

Users who are viewing this thread

tomshorse

Reaction score
is there a problem with going from a hose to pvc to sprinklers (hunter pro series 4" pop-up)? one (underground, all pvc) zone can power 7 heads like this but will going from a hose fitting to pvc deminish the psi or gpm normally?

CaptWally

Reaction score
Absolutely! I don't have any of my pressure loss charts handy right now, but you will find that the psi loss per foot on standard garden hose is pretty scary compared to PVC pipe. Your best bet is to run PVC directly to the zone. It's inexpensive and worth it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, the hose bibb may only be on a 1/2" pipe, so it does not have the same flow capability as a 3/4" line right off the main.

Second, the loss in the hose will be significant.

Third, where is the backflow prevention in this picture?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose

The length of the hose, it probably being coiled up, and its inside diameter, will all combine to reduce the pressure and volume. You might not be able to operate more than a coupld of heads on any one zone doing it this way. In addition, if you are using a hose, it will probably, (and hopefully), be connected to a faucet with an external vacuum breaker, which will further diminish the possible volume.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks