(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Flux in Water Line?

Default Flux in Water Line?

Just had new tank installed that required re-plumbing from original tank to location of new. Hot water cloudy with smell, leaves residue. Plumber believes it could be the flux being flushed from system. Question then is: describe the scent flux would leave in the water and just how long will it take to flush the system to the point the hot water runs clear. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Default flux

Unless he "soaked" the joint in flux, it usually "evaporates" while the joint is being made. IF there is flux in the pipe it should wash out almost instantly.

triks

There is nothing quite like a shade tree plumber, the old bread trick is super old school.. If the pieces are small enough to clear the elbows them they are at the valve outside, you may have to remove the valve stem this may well let the bread balls out.. Keep us posted. My question to you is why didn't you drain the water before you started soldering?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

triks, was your post just a reason to get your link you have included posted to the forum┐ Your post came out of left field and was even further out left field once complete.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by triks View Post
    There is nothing quite like a shade tree plumber, the old bread trick is super old school.. If the pieces are small enough to clear the elbows them they are at the valve outside, you may have to remove the valve stem this may well let the bread balls out.. Keep us posted. My question to you is why didn't you drain the water before you started soldering?
    You have smelled way too much sovent glue

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    triks, was your post just a reason to get your link you have included posted to the forum┐ Your post came out of left field and was even further out left field once complete.
    You missed the point all together, the drive by poster knew the plumber was eating a sandwich while soldering the pipe which caused him to use too much flux.

As long as he had bread on that sandwich he thought, I can clean the flux with the bread.

Now he had bread stuck to the flux and probably thought it would be cool to toast it with the torch.

The torch got the flux too hot and it burnt the bread so it was obvious he could turn on the water to put out the fire.

While the water was on he figured he could wash down his sandwich so he put his mouth on the end of the pipe...

Now you see why he tasted flux? He was sitting under a shade tree when all this happened... DUH???

Last edited by Terry; 09-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

"Chuckles ChuckS"
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.