Replacing the shower/tub valve the fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

helskel

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for having me on this very informative forum.

I have a set up very similar to the pictures shown here,
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28398.

My problem is that I'm getting water leaking to the bathroom below in the basement while the upstairs shower is running.

I suspect that the valve stems have been due for replacement for sometime.

Could worn valve stems allow leaking while the water is running?

(I'm hoping that is just the stems, and that I don't have to replace the whole brass mixer assembly.)

I'm sure I've revealed my complete newbie status of plumbing knowledge... please school away.

thanks!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely it is repairable without tearing up the wall. For your detective work, remove the handles and the chrome trim. Also remove the trim flange around the shower head. Leave the spout as is for now.

Now, reinstall handles and turn on water, use flashlight to inspect inside the walls around stems, shower arm. If nothing is discovered here, the leak could involve the tub spout, and then you just have to remove it and start over.

Now, you didn't mention exactly where you see a leak. If it is out in the middle of the ceiling below, it can also be associated with the tub drain. That will need more detective work, and ultimately may need opening the ceiling, but try the other things first

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks