Oven outlet next to Bathroom Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Palmisano

Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank everyone on this site and for helping me with so many things, you all have saved me a ton of cash. Thanks!

Here's my question - I am remodeling my bathroom. I opened the wall to move the water pipes/drain down a couple of feet so the vanity fits. However if I do that the water pipes will be right next to a 220V oven outlet as the kitchen share a common wall with the bathroom. There is a metal box in the wall with the 220 line going to it. Is this a problem? I fear a leak, shock and you know the rest. What should I do?

Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think it is a problem. I would not want the metal box touching the pipes, but as long as there is some space between them you should be okay. See what the pros have to say, but I don't think this is an issue.

Steven Palmisano

Reaction score
Pirate, I appreciate your answer and will go with it...but let me ask you, you sure I shouldn't worry about water hitting this box, maybe a leak...maybe just paranoid (Ozzie)

Steve

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pure water does not conduct electricity. But water with minerals and especially salt does conduct electricity.

The metal electrical box for the range should be grounded. This would protect you. And metal plumbing pipes should be grounded as well and would protect you. Plastic pipes would not conduct electricity.

If you are not sure if these things are properly grounded, and that your electrical system has a proper ground, you could call an electrician to check it to be sure.

Other that that, this is YOUR house, so do what makes you feel safe. You could always run a few beads of caulking around the metal box and stick plastic to the caulking (build a little waterproof roof over it). Then if any water leaked, it would run to the sides of the box and down.

I don't know if caulking conducts electricity or not. But to be safe, turn off the electricity to your house before applying caulking to the metal box in case any drips through a hole into the box.

I've done this to electrical boxes which face the outside in a wall before. I caulk all around any holes and where the wire goes through. This is more of a "seal the air leaks" and "energy saving" thing though. Air flowing through outside walls into the house can increase a heating bill. And outlets in walls are one air route along with pipes, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

If you have a leak, then the electrical box will be the least of your problems because it will short out and trip the breaker, but you will still have to fix the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks