Cookie

Reaction score
I got the flu. :(

I thought I saw those pigs going by...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Grandpa, with the diabetes, should be eligible for a flu shot in the high risk group. On the other hand, at that age, they say he has probably got immunity. He just missed the 1918 epidemic, but has lived through other outbreaks in the 40's, '76, and others.

Despite reports of how quickly it spreads like through a classroom, etc, The folks I have known where on of the kids got it...no one else in the family got it.

Cookie

Reaction score
Your doctor has a decision on who gets the flu shot, too. I am sure the doctor will give the flu shot to someone elderly and with diabetes.
My girlfriend was a grandma though for the first time, (2 now) in her late 40's. Not quite elderly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Despite reports of how quickly it spreads like through a classroom, etc, The folks I have known where on of the kids got it...no one else in the family got it.

It doesn't spread all that rapidly, but it has been persistently spreading for months now. I've watched as my kids' soccer teams, schoolmates, and scouts have succumbed one family at a time over roughly the past two months. In about half the cases the parents became ill too.

The stuff is often so mild that many adults will not realize they have it until 2-3 days have passed. I estimate that between 50-75% of the kids in our area have already had it. I base this on checking attendance and follow up calls to make sure the kids/parents I work with are okay. It's way too late to worry about vaccines for the general population.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. It's way too late to worry about vaccines for the general population.

I am starting to realize that! Good thing this was not the "killer flu". By the time the vaccine gets into general circulation, tens of millions of folks will already have had the flu. That and vaccinating a good chunk of the general pop. when available, may reduce the chance of another "pandemic" until the bird flu or something else comes along@!

Cookie

Reaction score
Here is something more to worry about incase you are all out, :)

I saw this on Yahoo...

Please don't sneeze on your pet
It's enough that you have to worry about you and your kids catching swine flu this season. But now you also have to be concerned for … your cat. That's right. Your furry friend can catch it, from you. At least that's the case for a 13-year-old feline in Iowa diagnosed with H1N1 after its two owners both came down with the flu. The cat was treated at a veterinary hospital after appearing lethargic, losing its appetite and having trouble breathing. All three have recovered. Although this is the first documented case, consider it a cautionary tale.

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/can-pets-get-swine-flu/
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/the-cat-who-got-swine-flu/

People with flulike symptoms can protect their pets with the same precautions used to minimize transmission of virus between humans. Such measures include washing hands thoroughly, particularly before handling the pet or preparing food; covering coughs and sneezes; and avoiding close contact with the pet during the course of illness.

It is common for pets to share beds and other furniture with humans, and this should be avoided during an illness.

There is no evidence to date of a dog being infected with H1N1, but commonsense measures should be taken with all pets to decrease the likelihood of potential virus transmission, like keeping pets out of the bedroom of anyone with flulike symptoms and away from contaminated objects.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks