Hose Bib won't turn off (only spins)

Users who are viewing this thread

Msehler

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and women),
I have a plumbing question for you. First of all my house is built in 1975 in Northeast Kansas (Kansas City metro area).

My roommate went to wash his vehicle today and I, later, went to run the hose, which he left on (there was a sprayer-handle on-off on the end of the hose, preventing the water from running). When I went to shut it off (via hose bib), all it does is spin and spin, not sealing to shut off the water.

This seems like it would be a common problem, but I could not find anything in the forum except for "leaky hose bib" and "leaky backflow hose bib" issues.

The hose bib does not appear to be a backflow prevention or frost proof model (I believe it to be original to the house circa 1975). I have done minor plumbing work including replacing the neoprene washer seal on the main coming into the house, but am VERY unfamiliar to the vocabulary associated with the specific parts of a hose bib, so you'll have to be patient with me in that aspect.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this.

-Matt

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Old gate valve type of bib or boiler bib. Need to find out if there is a shutoff inline somewhere supplying the hose bib.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The stem is most likely stripped and unless you can find a valve exactly like it and use its parts for the repair, you have to replace the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks