Replacing Waltec Shower Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Hektor21

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a leaking Waltec shower and have been trying to replace the cartridge. It is a single tap shower and I have stripped it down as far as I can get. I am not sure which part to remove next. It looks like there may be an outer metal ring or cover and although I have tried using grips to twist it off it won't move even though I have covered it in penetrating fluid. (I cannot see any screws that may be holding this ring/cover in place). I am concerned that if I apply too much force in trying to twist it off I will damage the copper piping in the wall and then I'll have a real problem. I have hopefully attached a picture of how far I have got.

Any advice greatly received.

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpg
    IMG_6871.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13,246

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That looks a lot like a Delta knock off...
The cartridge section may actually be connected to the rear portion with 3 small tubes which can break/shear very easily.
You cannot over muscle this with good results.
I would use a torch to heat the nut and it should come of easily then.

Tom_Sak

Reaction score
Hey Redwood,

I have the exact valve/cartridge setup in the picture. Need to know how to remove the cartridge once the ring nut has been succesfully removed? Does the cartridge simply pull off or do you need a puller? How sensitive of a job is it? Will I break any valve nipples?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Once the ring is off, you should be able to wiggle the cartridge out. I would take some care getting the ring off, using a wrench behind on the body.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is nothing like a Delta faucet. The body appears to be a casting so it will take a lot of "abuse". Heating the ring should loosen it, but WILL destroy the cartridge so be sure you have the proper replacement before you start. Do NOT squeeze the ring too tightly or you will deform it and then it may either not come off or not go back on again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks