sump pump switch

Users who are viewing this thread

goofysun1

Reaction score
We just bought a house. The sump pump has been coming on and staying on. By looking online, I have figured out that is an upright pump. The switch sticks, and I can turn it off by simply pushing down the switch arm that connects to the floater. The motor is a GE.
Do I need to replace the floater or the switch? Can you get these as separate parts? Is it easier and or better to replace the part(s), get a piggyback switch, or replace the pump?

It is located in the crawlspace. In a related question...Our crawlspace has a moat. The crawlspace is not concrete - it's more like clay, mud, sand and rocks. We need to do some grading and stuff around the foundation, and I did see where there is a possible leak in the foundation. But, the water level is below the lip of the pump reservoir. Is this normal?

BTW our house is in Round Lake Park, IL near intersection of 134 & 120.
Dawn

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Drop it in the dumpster and get a good quality submersible pump...
May I suggest a zoeller pump.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Dawn, unless the upright pump is made by Tramco, Swaby, or Weil, replace it with a good quality submersible pump like a Hydromatic or Zoeller pump.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dawn, unless the upright pump is made by Tramco, Swaby, or Weil, replace it with a good quality submersible pump like a Hydromatic or Zoeller pump.

I learned something new today Mr. Ratz...
I didn't know that any upright sump pump was considered to be good and now I know of 3.

goofysun1

Reaction score
Solution

Well, needless to say - I was not too happy with the lack of help I received nor the crass answer... But I thought that I would post my solution in case it can help someone else.

The sump pump float was getting stuck in and on position by getting caught up on the wall of the pit. My brother-in-law, who lays concrete foundations, suggested, correctly, that the pump had just vibrated itself too close to the pit wall. I didn't know that the pump wasn't attached to anything, so I followed his suggestion and just moved it over a little. Problem solved. The next time he came over, he went down there and stabilized the pump so it wouldn't move around so much. Now, weeks later, it is still running perfectly!

Good luck to those who seek real answers like me.
Dawn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks