Redesign Kitchen Sink Plumbing??

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhino1

Reaction score
We have a double-sink (with garbage disposal and dishwasher) that continually backs up--on average, once every 1 to 2 weeks. The backup is on the garbage disposal side, which is the only side we really use. We plunge it, and then it's good for a week or two.

Our guess is that the design of the plumbing is bad, and the backup is at the T, where the two drains meet.

Can someone please give us some suggestions about remedying the problem. We've seen pictures of the ideal double-sink set up, but they really don't work for us because of the location of the horizontal pipe going to the drain. And we'd also prefer not to have rip everything out.

The sink picture is below.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Attachments

• sink1.jpg
    sink1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 59,685

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
There really is no love lost by cutting out the pipes pictured and starting over. Without getting overly complicated I would recommend either doing the necessary research and look at more pics of how undersink drains are configured or hire a plumber to make quick work of it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The Badger 5 is the problem,the grinders are not as good as when it was new.
Now I know you do not want to replace it but that may solve your problem.
If you do replace it, a Pro Evolution, Insinkerator is the one to install.That is your best bet.
http://www.insinkerator.com/disposers/index.shtml

evolutionessential_med.jpg

They no longer make the SS333

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That drain is almost guaranteed to stop up frequently, because there is NOTHING to induce the discharge to turn down to the trap. It will want to go straight across to the other side and as it builds up it will finally stop the drain. There is NO reason why it cannot be plumbed the conventional way. And in so doing you would eliminate a lot of unnecessary turns. How old is the disposer? It might also be time to replace it. They will operate a long time past the time when they should have been replaced.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The blue tint of the paint that disposer is a color which insinkerator has not used in years. It tells me that the disposer has a 99.999952345% chance of being shot and should be replaced. It is sending unground food down the drain. It died years ago and just doesn't know it yet.:eek:

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

Or this.
And Redwood is right. The blades quit slicing and dicing long ago.
There is no way you will be able to get those long slices down the drain with that old relic.

Marty53

Reaction score
That drain is almost guaranteed to stop up frequently, because there is NOTHING to induce the discharge to turn down to the trap. It will want to go straight across to the other side and as it builds up it will finally stop the drain. There is NO reason why it cannot be plumbed the conventional way. And in so doing you would eliminate a lot of unnecessary turns. How old is the disposer? It might also be time to replace it. They will operate a long time past the time when they should have been replaced.

Really? Thats how most of the drain kits I've seen are designed to be set up, and unfortunately how mine is currently set up. I don't have any problems though.. Same setup except with a new badger 5.

When your vertical drain in the wall is smack between the two sinks, how can you plumb it like Terry's diagram or in the picture kingstoall posted?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When your vertical drain in the wall is smack between the two sinks, how can you plumb it like Terry's diagram or in the picture kingstoall posted?

With a fitting like a 45 or 90 you can move it almost anywhere.

You can use the tee in the middle, with a baffle, but how do you grade both sides down?
What you have, is a santee without the baffle.
You can do that, but a plumber wouldn't.
Our answers will reflect that.

Marty53

Reaction score
I gotcha. Thanks Terry.

This makes me think of another question--What makes bathroom double lav sinks different in that they need individual traps then?

I've never seen a double lav sink with a setup like this. Usually they are trapped individually then combined with a horizontal wye.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I gotcha. Thanks Terry.

This makes me think of another question--What makes bathroom double lav sinks different in that they need individual traps then?

I've never seen a double lav sink with a setup like this. Usually they are trapped individually then combined with a horizontal wye.

Sometimes it's the distance but more often it's a matter of keeping as much usable space underneath for storage and drawers.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
A double lav is considered two sinks where as a double kitchen sink is considered one sink.Different P/O and DFU.
Portant outlet fixture units.Lav 1 dfu k/s 2 dfu

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

I NEVER install diposers using the supplied elbow for the connection. I ALWAYS go straight to the tee, except for high/low sinks configurations. This raises the piping to give more space, eliminates a joint which could come apart if someone leans on it, and makes a more direct drain. 1/16, 1/8, "Y"s, and elbows make almost any drain doable using the end outlet disposer connector kit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks