Washing machine venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have two washing machine drains to plumb and vent. I am upgrading them to the proper size 2" using wyes into a short 4" horizontal C.I. section. I can go straight up with a vent. The two washer drains are seperated by a block wall in the basement, as this is a 2 family house. Can I use 1-1/2 for the vents, go straight up and join the two together in the common wall above? From there it would join with a common vent for one of the bathrooms upstairs. A tub and a sink....then up thru the roof and increased to 2"....The existing washer drains had no vents and are 1-1/2" and are poorly done in galvanized pipe.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

One thing about the common wall between units, is that it may be considered a fire wall and, if so, any penetrations should be made and sealed with fire resistant materials.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Under my codes, once you connect the two vents together you'll need to be at 2" for the vents.

What is your location or what codes are you under?
A sketch or picture would likely help further.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Me thinks you have mis-interpreted the IPC. You can wet vent an entire bath group off an 1 1/2 pipe.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Me thinks you have mis-interpreted the IPC. You can wet vent an entire bath group off an 1 1/2 pipe.

I may have. I only have the FPC, the foreward in the FPC indicates its basis on IPC.
FPC2007 Table 909.3
Wet Vent/DFU=
1-1/2"/1 dfu
2"/4 dfu
2-1/2"/6 dfu
3"/12 dfu

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks