You need to open up the valve more.
It's takes water full on to push the seal closed on the vacuum breaker.
I'm trying to get my sprinkler system restarted this Spring and can't seem to get the water past the backflow preventer. Here's what I've done:
1) I closed all the drains.
2) I opened the water main about 1/8 of a turn.
3) I opened both ball valves on the backflow preventer (parallel to the pipes).
4) I made sure the brass threads were closed (perpendicular).
5) PROBLEM: WATER IS SURGING OUT OF THE TOP OF THE BACKFLOW PREVENTER.
6) I tried turning on each zone to see if I could get water to flow into the zones anyway. No luck.
I'm a novice. Has anyone seen this problem, or have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
1. Close all valves and test cocks on the backflow
2. Turn water source on (easy does it) all the way
3. Program you controller for a short (4-5 Min.) watering cycle. Start it up.
4. On the PVB (Backflow Preventor) determine the direction of the water flow
5. Turn on the source side first-briskly to reset the backflow.
6. Turn on the irrigation side last, slowly at first to fill the underground pipes.
Zone 1 should already be open, allowing the underground pipes to not be