Water heater leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

kingnus

Reaction score
I have a water heater that leaks once a day from around the bottom. It leaks maybe 1/4 of a cup.
I can not see where it is coming from. Anyone have an ideas?
Charles

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If you have determined that it is not coming from any other source above. (T&P connection, hot/cold connections etc.) then it may be the tank rusting out. How old and one kind of WH is this¿

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are only 4 pipe connections water where water could be coming from that one might be able to repair: Intake, outlet, T/P valve, and the drain valve. Any place else, and it is a hole(s) in the tank, and it's game time.

kingnus

Reaction score
water heater

Water heater is a Rheem and 9 years old. Thing I do not under stand is why it on leaks once in a while. NOt leaking from any of the valves . I put a container under the valves so I know it is not leaking there.
Charles

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The leaking hole is sealing up until there is enough pressure to cause it to leak again...it will eventualy start leaking and not stop...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure regulator valve on the main supply line and if so, do you have an thermal expansion tank? If you have a PRV and do not have an expansion tank or if you have a tank, the bladder could be shot. This would cause the T/P valve to open when the pressure get too high in the water heater. The T/P closes when the pressure is relieved and is no longer building up so the leak would be intermittent.

kingnus

Reaction score
water heater

thanks all, I guess it is time for a new one.
Charles

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe...
But is it is the T&P valve that is leaking a new water heater will leak as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks