Lavatory pop up drain

Users who are viewing this thread

pbr3232

Reaction score
I have a lavatory pop up drain that is in sink that is siliconed to the counter. The pop up tail piece goes into a trap adapter that is glued onto a piece of pvc into a drum trap. The idea is I can't remove the trap or drop the trap adapter to give some slack to remove the drain assembly. I am jammed between the sink and the trap adapter. How would you remove the pop up drain assembly and put a new one in without having to lift the sink off.

Thank You

Peter

pbr3232

Reaction score
You can cut the old one. How about putting the new one in.

Thanks

Peter

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
This is taking it a bit far but would work. Drill two hole through the pipe so you can stick a screwdriver in it and use it for torque. Obviously you have used pipe wrenches and channel locks to no avail, I assume.

pbr3232

Reaction score
Appreciate your response but I think we are talking two different thing. I was wondering how you replace a pop up drain assembly when you can't remove the trap because the trap and trap adaptor is glued and there is no slack and the lav is siliconed down. I could pop the lav up install the drain and silicone it back.

Thanks

Peter

pbr3232

Reaction score
Here is a photo I hope.............

drain 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I can already hear what everyone else is going to say.

It will be in the lines of cut out that drum trap, and replumb that drain line with a tee, atop of that tee put an AAV, and on the tee branch install a trap adapter and a p-trap.

pbr3232

Reaction score
It's in an area where drum traps are illegal. But it is existing so whether it a drum trap or an s trap it okay. I just want to change the pop up drain. If you are jammed you are jammed whether it be pvc or a galvanized drain pipe. I will just pop up the sink.

Thanks

Peter

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lav. Pop up drain

IT IS VERY EASY CUT THE 1 1/2" PIECE BETWEEN THE 9O AND TRAP,
CHANGE OUT YOUR POP UP ASSP. THEN USE A PRO CLAMP COUPLING TO RECONNECT THE PVC

shielded-couplings-proflex.jpg

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
It's in an area where drum traps are illegal. But it is existing so whether it a drum trap or an s trap it okay. I just want to change the pop up drain. If you are jammed you are jammed whether it be pvc or a galvanized drain pipe. I will just pop up the sink.

Thanks

Peter

I bet it was illegal before they allowed PVC and before they started to make PVC drum traps. Also most codes only allowed drum traps to be used with bathtubs.

What MACPLUMB 777 said is true very easy to cut below the elbow and fernco it back in with a shielded fernco coupling.

But its just as easy to repipe the PVC by cutting below the 90 glue in a sanitary tee a short pipe on the run with a trap adapter, and an AAV on the top of the Tee. See below image I stole from Redwood. I mean why keep it the way it is, when you can easily correct it and make it a whole lot better than what you have now. I normally do not recommend the use of AAV's I am in an area that requires proper vent piping.

s-trapp-trapconversion.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
There is no way a Milwaukee 15 amp would get through that pipe.
Still have not tried mine out yet...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Follow SewerRatz suggestion and it will make your plumbing system happy and your job easy...Redwood...Does CT allow AAVs...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks