2 Wells - 1 House - Radon and Irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

hdemott

Reaction score
New to this forum so please bear with me.

I have a house with 2 wells.

Well #1 is our house well. It has a fairly high radon level (> 20000) and works fine for the house - but is not strong enough to do irrigation

Well #2 is our irrigation well. It is fine for irrigation and could be adapted to house use.

What I would like to do it to flip wells and use well #2 for the house and use well #1 for irrigation, with well #2 kicking on when needed for irrigation.

The idea is to use the well with radon outside the house, but not run it dry every irrigation cycle.

That way I can use the current irrigation well in the house - run it through a softener neutralizer as well as some carbon filtration, and use it for drinking water

Any thoughts on how to do this?

hdemott

Reaction score
Another way of asking this perhaps is:

Do you know of any pressure switches that can handle 2 well pumps simultaneously?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need a CSV, a pressure tank, and a separate pressure switch for each pump. Set the pressure switch for the irrigation pump at 30/50, with the CSV set at 40. Then set the pressure switch for the house pump at 40/60, with the CSV set at 50 PSI. This way the irrigation pump will not come on as long as the house pump can keep up with the demand but, the second pump will come on and increase the flow when needed for irrigation.

A check valve in the right place would let both pumps feed the irrigation but, only the one pump feed the house.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Radon mitigation can be rather expensive and take up some space. How can you have radon in one well and not the other? How far a part are they?

What is the test results for the present irrigation well; hardness, iron, manganese, pH, Coliform bacteria etc. etc. Why do you need a carbon filter and acid neutralizing?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wells

The crossconnection between the house and irrigation systems MUST be properly made, and there is no way to do that reliably, and have it automatic, because the backflow device would ALWAYS open and flood water when the irrigation pump came on if the house pressure dropped below that of the irrigation system.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think the pressure would be the same on the house system as the irrigation system. Otherwise you would be right about the back flow opening up if it was and RPZ, but not with just a double check.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks