how do I hook up a hose to this valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

stanowen

Reaction score
So I just bought a piece of commercial property. It has a parkway with grass, trees, and shrubs. That side of the building doesn't have a hosebib on the wall, but it does have some sort of valve in the ground. It has a spring loaded brass cap that flips back and when you look down inside it looks just like an ordinary pipe. I think I have seen these before but I don't know what they're called. They look like a long pipe extension with the hosebib on top. Any clue what the heck I'm looking for?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does it look like this?

building-connections_exposed-inlet.png

stanowen

Reaction score
no, it doesn't have two connections, it's only got one. and it has a flip up top on it. i'm thinking that it might be some sort of quick connect/disconnect valve. it sits vertically in the grass pointing up towards the sky, but below the level that a lawnmower would hit. i think they plumbed it this way so that the long pipe extension and hose could be removed and stored inside. anything left out would be stolen in this neighborhood. i've tried searching google with a bunch of different keywords but can't come up with anything remotely like it. i know i've seen something similar, i just can't say where.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The piece you need is usually called a sprinkler key. It twists into your fitting and has a tap on it to attach a valve and hose.

There are two types of thread on these, which I refer to as Superior and Acme.

I will try to find some pics and add it, but any landscape supply ( not HD ) will have them.

Here is a link. Champion calls them quick couplers, and coupler keys. As I mentioned, you just have to find out if yours needs the single lug design ( champion ) or Acme thread design/
>>http://www.championirrigation.com/o...Quick Couplers, Swivels and Keys/0/1/15/1/0/0

Last edited:

stanowen

Reaction score
aahhhh yes!! thats what the inground "coupler" looks like, i guess i'll have to check tomorrow and see if it has the threads or lug, also check what size it is (looks like they come in 3/4, 1", etc). looking at the price, now I know why the previous owner took it with them!! sheezaloo.

thank you so much for the help!! my grass and trees will thank you as soon as I get them watered.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connector

Hopefully it has a name on the top, because they are not generic, so you have to get the plug-in sprinkler insert made by the same company. Most of them use a watering head, not a hose connection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Around here they install them in the landscape areas around condos, commercial bldgs, etc. so the maintenance crew can plug in a bibb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks