Screwed up, now I need to know how bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rlogic

Reaction score
I am a caretaker at a summer recreation facility, The water system is drained in winter months. There is a deep well that provides 90+ G.P.M. and a 500gal holding tank. I have already charged the system once this month and repaired all leaks. The water is treated the first time, then drained and flushed. There is a shut off valve between the well pump and holding tank. The second time I turned on the well pump I thought I had the shut off valve open when in fact I didn't. Pump was on for a maximum of 45 sec. It blew out the diaphragm on the pressure control switch (square D 30-50). I replaced the pressure switch wiring it the way the switch instructions said, which was slightly different than it was originally wired. I turned on the well pump, It filled the tank and and it cut out right at 50psi. I started to fill a large hot water and watched the pressure drop to see the cut in Pressure. At 30psi the pressure switch started clicking rapidly. Tried wiring the way it was originally with same results. Did I burn out the pump? pump relay? Still kicking myself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

How did it blow out the diaphragm. As soon as it sensed pressure equal to its setting it should have turned the pump off, regardless of how the valve was set.

Rlogic

Reaction score
smart question, I assumed it was too much pressure and initial force coming from the pump with no place to go. what I do know is, I tripped the breaker on, walked 15 seconds to the well head, noticed the water streaming from the pressure switch, and the shut off valve closed. I immediately opened the shut off valve and ran to turn the breaker off. Later I tried once more, valve was still leaking, pump was still pumping

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sequence

This is the way it should have gone. Turn power on, pump starts, water flows but has no where to go, pressure switch opens IMMEDIATELY, pump stops. WE would have to know the differerence between the way it was wired originally and the way you changed it to tell what happened, or if it was even a factor in what happened. The switch chattering could be rapid pressure changes opening and closing the switch.

Last edited:

Rlogic

Reaction score
hj, would the rapid changes show in the pressure gauge? so far its been rock steady, needle didn't bounce, brand new gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks