GFCI Troubleshooting Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
A leak in the 2nd floor bathroom made its way down the inside of a wall to the GFCI of the 1/2 bath downstairs.

I have since replaced the GFCI and wired it according to the package provided diagram.

An electrician replaced the GFCI in the 2nd floor bathroom and it worked for a while. He examined the GFCI in the 1/2 bath and said that it was wired correctly but I should have placed the receptacle upside down (Don't know what that's about).

Neither of those GFCI's work now.

My guess is that something on the circuit has an electrical issue. I am having a hard time figuring out which item it is. Obviously some outlets stopped working but other than that, everything else seems ok.

Can anyone suggest a good troubleshooting method that can help me discover the culprit?

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has the leak been fixed?

Perhaps there is again water in both and they need to be replaced again?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gfci

If they are single units with nothing plugged into them then the GFCI's are bad. If they feed additional outlets, then something plugged into them or the wiring between them is bad. Installing the outlet inverted is to ensure that if something thin slides between the wall and the plug, that it will contact the ground prong first and then the hot feed, either tripping the GFCI or the circuit breaker.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are checking to see if voltage is present to the GFCI's? New GFCI's will not reset if voltage is not present. Check breakers if no power.

Then A GFCI can be just on its own. Or there can be "downstream wiring" connected to it as well. If there is downstream wiring, I would disconnect that and see if the GFCI then works.

If not, I would try replacing the GFCI. If replacing the GFCI gets it working again, I would turn the old GFCI every which way to see if any water comes out and the leak is still there. Or take it apart and see if there is water inside (don't use again after taking it apart).

So either you have power to the GFCI or you don't.

Either the GFCI downstream wiring is OK or it is not.

The GFCI is either working OK or it is not. If it is not, then a logical conclusion would be that there is water in it again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks