Boiler Cold At Times

Users who are viewing this thread

echo

Reaction score
What would make my oil fired boiler go cold on occastion? Its been regularly maintained and runs great. But Once a month or so it goes cold and you have to hit the red reset button.

echo

Reaction score
Its been serviced and looked at by everybody in the company I have the service contract with for about five years now. Its an ongoing project with them. I have to believe its not a maintenance issue. Im afraid if anyone is going to fix it its going to be me. Could it be the aquastat?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No it's not the aquastat. When the burner goes off on reset it is because either it failed to fire or the control thinks it failed to fire. Again there could be any one of a couple dozen reasons form oil delivery problems, to motor, transformer, primary control, draft and the list goes on and on. You need to find a better service tech.

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
When I say call the manufacturer I mean tell them exactly your setup and situation. This problem could involving a number of different variables that would cause your boiler to go "cold". The manufacturer may be able to shed some light on your problem from the experiences of others with this particular boiler.

good luck,
mike
www.HiTechHeat.com

flamefix

Reaction score
No it's not the aquastat. When the burner goes off on reset it is because either it failed to fire or the control thinks it failed to fire. Again there could be any one of a couple dozen reasons form oil delivery problems, to motor, transformer, primary control, draft and the list goes on and on. You need to find a better service tech.

Agree 100%.

It's going to lock out which is a fault, it's not going to over heat. They should start with the basics, fuel line leaks, air ingress, filters, check fire valves if fitted. Check electrodes for arcing leads, and cracks, check all the wiring, check the ignition transformer, check fuel pump, motor, loose control box, the list is finite but there is a lot that can be causing it. But not the aquastat because that would just shut down the boiler on limit not lockout. If you didn't have lockout and the stat wouldn't bring on the boiler then you could look at that.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In all my years, it's amazing how many tech's fail to check & clean that cad cell eye.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
See if they'll loan you an event recorder. It trips on the adverse event and reads out data preceding the event from many sensors. A lot of companies make them.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q="event+recorder"+hvac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

For once/month MTBF you'd have to wait several months without a reset to check if your fix worked to some level of certainty. I did a report on these type of infrequent failures, once.
It's much better for troubleshooting if you can reliably induce the failure.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks