Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ and 2nd floor ?'s

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased the above thermostat kit w/ outdoor sensor. I haven't installed it yet, but that is in the works. The main reason for the purchase was I like the anti-frost feature and the ability to control the temp and humidifier from one unit. I also like that it will cycle the fan when not using the cool or heat.

My questions are this.

- I noticed you can purchase and control through zoning different areas of the house through dampners that open and close via communication with the control unit.

I am wondering if that would be a viable solution to provide heat and A/C to the 2nd floor of a 1-1/2 story Bungalow that currently has no central heat/air on the 2nd floor. There are 3 rooms on the 2nd floor, a bedroom, large bath, and study. I can easily run ductwork up through two seperate closets that could feed all three rooms. I would then just supliment with thermostatically controlled baseboard heaters and a window unit.

I've now been in the house for a year and am fairly happy with the way a baseboard heater in the bathroom and a window unit in the study have supplied heat/cool air to the 2nd floor, but I figure using my furnace and a/c would be more cost effective. I've tried getting quotes from several HVAC companies but none seem to want to give me a quote on a complete new system on the 2nd floor. So I am looking for additional options. I also have decided that the $5000+ I would likely spend installing a furnace and a/c unit just for the 2nd floor would go a long way to pay for any increased utility costs, I currently have.

My previous house was also a 1-1/2 story house and it did have non-baffled ductwork ran to the 2nd floor. That worked ok, but it never failed that there was a 5-10* temp swing between the 1st and 2nd floor. That's what interests me about the baffle idea, seems it would help eliminate that.

Of course, I realize size of my current units will somewhat play into the whole efficiency thing. I have about 1300sq ft on the main level, about 600sq ft on the 2nd and then 700sq ft in the basement, which will soon be finished space. Even though the basement is currently unfinished, they have vents installed to heat/cool it. So, I'm guessing sizing of the units took that into account. My A/C unit is about 2yrs old and is a Trane, I am thinking it's a 3ton, but if need be I can grab the info off the unit. The furnace is about 7-8yrs old, not sure of brand or size. Again, I am just looking to know if this is viable or not. Another thing if it matters is that the house is not very well insulated, except for the attic. I am insulating the basement, I plan on blowing cellulose into the walls and adding to the ceiling.

- The other question I have is what about adding a return air from the basement? ...2nd floor? I am having to re-route one of the current return air ducts and it would be easy to have that pick up air from the basement as well. My thought is basements stay a constant temp for the most part, so I would think drawing some of that air would help with cooling, not sure about heating, but I could put a manual (or auto) baffle there as well.

Again, it would be easy to run a return duct from the 2nd floor, but afraid that would not be useful, unless it was open only in the winter to capture the heated air that rises up.

- One last question. I have also thought about installing a whole house ceiling mounted fan to draw heated air from the houe and push it out to the attic. Would I and could I mount the controls from the fan to the Vision Pro unit?

I realize some of this may require a HVAC person to do some work, which is fine, but I want to know what I'm looking at and if my ideas are even valid ones. I ordered the Honeywell unit online, because I kept getting the run around from the only two local installers. They kept referring me here and there and so I figured forget them, I'll just buy online and hook it up myself.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks