Septic tank lid removal for cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
I have been all over the forum asking questions, I hope y'all are not tired of me yet:rolleyes:

I have a septic tank that will be emptied tomorrow just as a preventive, it has been probably 5 years since last done and it was because it was backing up. The house was build by my wife's pop, rest in peace back in the early 80's.
When they need to pump the septic tank a heavy lid needs to be lifted, approximately 27"x57". This is just part of the lids. I probed and the total length of the tank is a little over 10 ft. I will measure the depth when he comes over tomorrow so I can approximately calculate the volume.
I remember the only pipe I saw going into the tank from the house was a small one, I think a 2-4".
I wonder if there are more pipes connected from the house that go into this tank, I assume a bigger one from the toilets???
Included is a picture from the first part of the lid where the small pipe is located.

Is it possible to get another lid for easier access with maybe a hole in the top??

Just new into septic tanks so any advice will be appreciated. The only info about the drainage field is that there are 3 pipes drained into the field??

woodenshoe-washer-04.jpg

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
It would have been nice if they had put a couple of handles on that lid.

Septic tanks for the most part don't plug up for years. As long as the bacteria is alive and well, they do a great job of taking care of solids. If the tank is backing up, it may be a drain field problem.

I think the tank cleaner guy is going to like that large hole so he can get the hose in and clean the entire tank. A small hole might restrict his ability to get all the goodies out.

bob...

mcrandi

Reaction score
it is very vital to clean it once every 3-4 years time and also to use proper cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Lid

Ron, if your handy you could make up a new lid with a round access hole and buy a poly riser and lid from someone like Polylok , or other suppliers. They are about 24inch dia and you can size them to be just flush with surface so you have access and can also mow over them.

Most tanks have just one 4 inch inlet and one 4 inch outlet ---that I have seen. LB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks