Why are all my outlets GFCIs in my kitchen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_C

Reaction score
I'm a total novice, so accept my apologies if there is a simple answer to this...

I am purchasing a house in FL, built in 1984, and in the kitchen, every single outlet is a GFCI (not just slaves with stickers). Any thoughts as to why someone might choose to do this? The breaker for the circuit is 20A. I haven't had a chance to examine the wire to see whether or not it's 12/2.

Also, I'm doing a bathroom remodel in a room adjacent to the kitchen. Is it acceptable for me to run the GFCI circuit back through the wall from the kitchen to the vanity I'll be installing? I've seen elsewhere in this forum that a bathroom cannot power a non-bathroom according to NEC, but I haven't seen this particular scenario addressed.

And finally - just to be sure I'm planning properly - any wiring that goes outside the dwelling must be encased in metal conduit, correct? The reason I ask is that this is an elevated stilt home, which makes it possible to run wiring underneath and then up to its final destination, rather than having to cut up existing walls and drill through many studs.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Mike

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Your kit GFCI's may have been installed by someone who didn't know any better. Sometimes I put multiple GFCI's in the kit to keep the refrigerator off a protected circuit.

Kit counter top circuits are for kitchen counter top receps only. You can run your bathroom circuit thru the kitchen if that is what you are asking.

As far as the wiring run outside, it is always a good idea to protect it. Tne definitions of "outside" will vary. IMO, if you are in the floor joist chase, you are still inside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks