Pressure tank installed correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
I have a shallow well with a 1 hp jetpump and a bladdertank for my house. A couple of years ago I had a new pump installed and he also put the pressure tank in a different spot. After that the pressure in the house was a little lower than usual. The pressure switch is 30/50 and pressure tank 28 psi.
I will include some pictures, there is a softener but that is bypassed since I am replacing it.
The filter you see is a Rusco sediment filter that I flush weekly since I have a little sand issue.

Is the tank installed correctly??

pressure-tank-install-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are far better sand filters that can remove sand without having to be messed with all the time.

There is nothing wrong with the tank install that I can see. The problem I see is right here:

Junk.jpg

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Sand

There are far better sand filters that can remove sand without having to be messed with all the time.

There is nothing wrong with the tank install that I can see. The problem I see is right here:

It has been working now for a year or two, I had well guys coming over and they all said I need to drill a new well:(

What kind of sand filters are in your eyes better, do you have any examples or links?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't have a picture of one, but a simple water softener tank with a standard in and out head with silica sand in it, can remove the finest sand and won't need backwashing for months. A simple manual backwash manifold can be made cheaply enough. I have made lots of them.

I simply have no use for in line filters like yours or the ten inch cartridge filters the big box stores like to call "Whole house filters" what a ruse. They cause more problems than they cure.

Gary also sells a sand filter that I'm sure works quite well.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Do you actually find sand in that thing, it looks to be filled with rust to me.

It's probably coming for the galvanized well you have, and any iron in the water.

I don't like tanks plumbed like yours is. That's because as the water comes out and the pump comes on, the water has to swap directions, and it does it again when the pump shuts off and you're still using water. That can cause water hammer. I plumb tanks off a tee as the main water line goes past the tank.

With the water line from the well going up and then down to the pump, if you need to prime the pump, you aren't going to be able to unless you cut the line at the high point, or raise the pump.

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
yes it does remove sand

To answer your question, yes it does remove sand from my well.
It has a stainless steel filter and works well.

If I want something else besides a inline filter would this be a good alternative in combination with a softener?

Speedbump

Reaction score
It would do the same thing I'm telling you about except theirs has an automatic backwashing head where mine was manual. I offer the same thing only with a non electronic head.

bob...

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Manual

Yeah but yours would probably be a lot cheaper without the clack on it:)

The only problem I have right now is that I do not have a drain in my little well house.
The drain from the old softener that was installed was just hanging outside the wellhouse and was discharging behind the wellhouse in the woods.:eek:

Since both the softener and the filter would have a drain how would I create a drain? Do I need to find a way to connect to the drain from the house?

Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yes, you would have to have some sort of drain to backwash it either manually or automatically.

Unless you have a lot of sand, an automatic unit would be kind of a waste.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Personally I wouldn't use a "sediment" filter for sand. My sand 'filter' is a patented blow down type tank that traps the sand from getting out and then once a month or as needed, you drain water out the bottom. It also traps sediment that is heavy enough to settle out of the water stream. It's also much less expensive and comes in two sizes, you would use the mini. For more info you have to call me. Beware of the guys at your link...

For the rust I see in your spindown 'filter', you may need a special type softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks