Vent setup ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

joek

Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone can look at this diagram I made looking at the plumbing in my house from the bathroom side. Basically it is a 5x 8 bath and you are looking at the 8 foot wall, the toilet connects to the 4 inch stack, followed by a sink in the middle and the bathtub all the way to the right. I'm wondering if the bathtub is adequately vented or if it needs additional PVC attached to it to connect to the 2" vertical vent.

The 2"x2"x1.5" piece shown would have the 1.5" piece coming out of the side(not down as the diagram shows, as good as I could do for a non isometric drawing).

Thanks.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 293

Marty53

Reaction score

I believe it depends on the length of the 1.5" bathtub drain run (<5ft?), and also the length of the 2" run to the main stack vent. Do you have a partition wall behind the tub that you can run a vent up?

joek

Reaction score
The 1.5" run from tub drain is approx 3 ft , and the 2" pipe is 2-3 feet to the main stack vent. There is a partition wall behind the tub, but not much room to run the vent up, although if needed I'll have to find a way.

I am under UPC code also if that will make a difference.

Marty53

Reaction score
I'd wait for the big boys to chime in, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a vent for that tub.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does that tub drain actually run up hill to the lav drain?
What angle is the wye entering the lav drain at?

joek

Reaction score
No, does not run uphill, just a poor drawing. It has a 1/4" per foot decline from the tub to the wye, and the wye is on an angle, 45 degrees maybe. The drawing shows the wye coming out the bottom, but in reality it is coming out of your screen, on an angle if that makes sense.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can't have any part of the vent run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture (the lave in this case) That 2" vent is probably a no go. Tub/shower needs to be within 6' (developed length)of a vent also.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Can't have any part of the vent run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture (the lave in this case) That 2" vent is probably a no go. Tub/shower needs to be within 6' (developed length)of a vent also.

I read it as the 2" coming of the lavatory waste line was to the tub. That tub would then be vented off of the lav as long as it's within 8' on a 2" line. Is this not acceptable under UPC? Looks fine for Florida and possibly IPC.

Last edited:

joek

Reaction score
I'm not sure I totally understand FloridaOrange's view.

I guess the only way I see that it would vent, if at all, is where the 1.5" pvc tub drain connects to the 2" x 2" x 1.5" wye, and it would have to go up the 2" elbow and into that 2" vent. This would put it under the drain of the sink however.

Would it be acceptable to put a 1.5" T in the tub drain, come up with one 90 degree elbow, travel closer to the vent pipe, add another 90 degree elbow to come vertical, and then connect into the 2" vent with a 2" x 2" x 1.5" Tee? If it is acceptable how far away from the P trap do I have to put that 1.5" Tee?

Does the 4" main stack have any venting properties or does that not count?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks