Rheem Marathon, no anode rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
I am almost positive that my hot water heater is going south(12+yrs old) and it is the culprit of creating H2S on the hot water side that damage my copper coils in my A/C unit.

I have extremely hard water and no softener yet, working on it.

I looked at the Rheem marathon hot water heater that is made from a blow molded, polybutene tank that is corrosion free and because it is plastic it also eliminates the need of an anode rod.

These units are pricey and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these hot water heaters before I buy and install one

Ron

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
All I know about them is the replacement elements are very expensive...unless you are planning on staying there another 10 years it may not be worth the added expense...

Also you will need a softner or the unit will fill with sedement...

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Softener

Thanks for the quick reply Cas.
I will probably get a softener from Gary and install that first before the new water heater.
I'm planning on staying here forever:eek: so it might be worth the expense. I will research a little more or maybe someone else has more experiences with them.
Also my neighbor is a retired Rheem HVAC installer, maybe I can order through him for wholesale:rolleyes:
Although it probably won't give you warranty if you installed it yourself

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Anode

How would H2S in the hot water affect your AC coils? The Marathon heater will not last a lifetime, they will just keep giving you new heaters every time it goes bad. The tank may not fail, but the connections into the tank usually go bad, and they are not repairable.

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Sulphur gas

How would H2S in the hot water affect your AC coils? The Marathon heater will not last a lifetime, they will just keep giving you new heaters every time it goes bad. The tank may not fail, but the connections into the tank usually go bad, and they are not repairable.

The old A/C unit was replaced and the installer informed me that the coils where probably eaten up by the Sulphur(gasses) in the well water:eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How was well water getting to your A/C coils ????????????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sulphur

And what did that have to do with the water heater? Just washing the coils with hot water would not have damaged them.

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Hot water

I am not exactly sure but I assume that he meant when taking showers or baths the gasses would go through the ac vent back into the unit when running:confused:

Doe that make any sense or was he just talking out of his ass?
He installer is a neighbor down the street and he has been in the business for a long time in the area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In theory, it's not a good idea to have things that output clorine or probably multiple other gasses present in either air-handling or burning devices. In the presence of moisture and heat, they can create acids. Just like you really don't want your dryer vent exhausting near your heater air inlet. Probably not a big deal, but under just the right circumstances, could lead to early failure.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rheem marathon heaters

the are not worth the money..

I cant sell them for cost to my customers...

and they will still fill up with sediment and still need service

just get a normal one with heavy duty elements
for under half the price,
and it will most likely last 12 years or more

Also,
I think your furnace man is blowing smoke up your ass

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks