• Root canal

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK, my Windows vista ate it last Thursday. Spent Thursday nite, Friday morning fiddling; Sunday nite after return from Vegas, I bit the bullet and did a system recovery. Just now finally getting everything back in order.

Now, yesterday was toothache time, so today, I had not one but TWO root canals.

SO, which do you prefer.....fix a computer, or root canal. I vote for the root canal.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I vote root canal. The tears and emotional distress doesn't last near as long as a crashed computer causes.

I had a hard disc crash a few years ago and the best way to handle it my opinion is a new computer with XP or even 2000 and start over. I was able to plug in the HD and get some of the stuff off it as a slave and download it to the new computer.

Now I'm startin' ta tear up just remembering it!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Root canal any day. Mine are all crowned now any way. Almost as soon as I stepped into the US.

Now then, computer fix or wisdom tooth extraction? One on the bottom of the mouth.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I really enjoy fixing computers, and restoring them back to normal. But then again I like to do plumbing, so I am a glutton for punishment.

In all seriousness, I always liked working with electronics and computers. I been messing with computers since 1979 yes I was only 10. I learned to program on a game system called an Oddessy II it had a cartridge for hex decimal programing. I mastered it in a few weeks. Then I cut my teeth on a Timex Sinclair 1000, then to the Apple II systems in school where I self taught machine code programing and apple-soft basic, pascal, COBOL, and others. So computer stuff comes natrualy to me.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I really enjoy fixing computers, and restoring them back to normal. But then again I like to do plumbing, so I am a glutton for punishment.

In all seriousness, I always liked working with electronics and computers. I been messing with computers since 1979 yes I was only 10. I learned to program on a game system called an Oddessy II it had a cartridge for hex decimal programing. I mastered it in a few weeks. Then I cut my teeth on a Timex Sinclair 1000, then to the Apple II systems in school where I self taught machine code programing and apple-soft basic, pascal, COBOL, and others. So computer stuff comes natrualy to me.

Well, here is the weird part: in the early '80s, I got a BS degree in computer science. I had learned COBAL, Pascal, Fortran, C was coming along.... But for a variety of reasons my career never traveled in that direction, so I am just a "user" know. I found programming challenging and fun. I find Vista to be just a royal pain in the ass! In the '80s they were predicting that computers would be more powerful and EASIER TO USE. What happened is that power rules, and functionality has far outpaced the ability of a casual user to keep up.

pet peeves:
> Why did my vista just lock up and become unusable? I paid a bundle for this computer just a year ago ( HP Pavillion ). I should be entitled to better than this!

> Why could not HP or Bill Gates provide a driver for my perfectly good HP photosmart printer last year? Instead I was conned into buying a Kodak which has been nothing but trouble??

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well, here is the weird part: in the early '80s, I got a BS degree in computer science. I had learned COBAL, Pascal, Fortran, C was coming along.... But for a variety of reasons my career never traveled in that direction, so I am just a "user" know. I found programming challenging and fun. I find Vista to be just a royal pain in the ass! In the '80s they were predicting that computers would be more powerful and EASIER TO USE. What happened is that power rules, and functionality has far outpaced the ability of a casual user to keep up.

pet peeves:
> Why did my vista just lock up and become unusable? I paid a bundle for this computer just a year ago ( HP Pavillion ). I should be entitled to better than this!

> Why could not HP or Bill Gates provide a driver for my perfectly good HP photosmart printer last year? Instead I was conned into buying a Kodak which has been nothing but trouble??

Well then you remember the days when there where no drivers, you had to type the codes to dial your modem, make your printer boot and so on. When XP first came out it too had issues with no drivers for the current peripherals. Back then I wrote my own drivers since it was easy enough. Now for Vista and the "new and improved" peripherals that do not tell you in their piece of paper they call an instruction manual, what the command codes are.

I know a lot of people that are switching to Linux for your exact reasons. Lots of them are using the Ubuntu platform. I used to run a duel boot machine, well multi-boot, It had MS-dos 6.0, OS2/Warp, Linux Mandrake, Windows 3.5, Windows XP, and Vista. Vista is what finally did the poor computer in.Right now I am running a CyberMax Quad Core, 8G ram, two 500G hard drives 2 NVidia Geforce 9600 GTS it came with XP 64bit which I recently upgraded to Vista Pro 64bit. I had more headaches with the XP 64 bit and software compatibility issues. Vista addressed them issues with a better way of running the 32 bit programs.

Vista has its quirks just like any new release of an OS. I will agree that Micro$oft rushed the release of it which gave lots of people headaches.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
pet peeves:

I have a scanner that doesn't work with Vista
I still use it on my latop or my wife's PC - both XP
I refuse to buy a new scanner
They can make a new driver, its the MFg responsibility
And the Mfg wants the profit from a selling a new printer

I won't upgrade the laptop or wife's to Vista - piece of bloated junk
Nor will I buy their next piece of junk OS

I've worked in IT over 15 years, i'll do the backup & restore

Stevep111

Reaction score
My profession is computer repair so for me it is easier to fix a computer. I have had 5 root canals in my life the first of which was worse than being waterboarded 185 times.

I only have one rule about computers. Never keep anything on them you ever want to see again. Always have a back up. If you have a litte cash and want to resolve your back up issue, look into buying one of the back up restore programs like Norton Ghost.

What you do is when you get your computer all set up like you want, you make an image of the computer and put it on either a DVD or external drive. That image is your base. Next install all of your programs and get your data where you want it and then make another image. You can overwrite this image if you want every month or so (it only takes less than 30 minutes to do) but in the end if your computer crashes you can restore it in minutes instead of hours. Microsoft has a tool for backing up and moving files and settings. I suggest you get familiar with this as well. It will save you time if you decide to get another computer.

There is a lot you can do to make your life less miserable. I have well over 500 computers to attend to daily and I am by myself. If it took me hours to restore one computer I would get fired.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
computers

System engineer and senior programmer when 16K machines were mind boggling. Wrote in Autocoder assembler code before going to COBAL which took 5 to 8 hours to create a program card deck, so all corrections were done as patches until there were enough of them to justify a new compilation. Fortran, and others like it were considered "quick and dirty" operations. WE though we were in heaven when 64k machines became available. We no longer had to resort to multiple program overlays because most of the program would fit into core memory at one time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
System engineer and senior programmer when 16K machines were mind boggling. Wrote in Autocoder assembler code before going to COBAL which took 5 to 8 hours to create a program card deck, so all corrections were done as patches until there were enough of them to justify a new compilation. Fortran, and others like it were considered "quick and dirty" operations. WE though we were in heaven when 64k machines became available. We no longer had to resort to multiple program overlays because most of the program would fit into core memory at one time.

We are showing our age, hj! I worked on inertial navigation on submarines as early as the 60's. The system which could keep track of our postion inertially for up to 60 days with little outside input, had a program loaded on about 30' of punched paper tape, and the system hard drive was the size of a toaster, and was 8K!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We are showing our age, hj! I worked on inertial navigation on submarines as early as the 60's. The system which could keep track of our postion inertially for up to 60 days with little outside input, had a program loaded on about 30' of punched paper tape, and the system hard drive was the size of a toaster, and was 8K!

If Bill Gates and crew had gotten their hands on that system it would have needed at least 2 gigs of memory to work...:eek:

Gemma Merna

Reaction score
Re:

I prefer to fix the computer system problem and data recovery by Stellar Phoenix Partition Recovery Software as data is precious and no body wants to loss his treasure.Give a try

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gemma who asked you!:eek:

I didn't order a spam sandwich!

spam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks