Question 752: Tub drain, plastic w/slip nuts or sch 40 glued.

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
OK, I am not sure if this is my 752nd question, but it sure feels like it :)

It seems like I do everything 3 or 4 times, so now I am redoing my tub drain for the basement bathroom. Concrete is poured and I have an opening in the floor for the drain and P trap. I still have limited access, so I have been fitting the pipes, then pulling the tub to check everything. Gluing pieces one at a time.

Right now I am at the point of gluing the tub drain to the P trap assembly. Essentially the point of no return. The drain I have is a schedule 40 unit that I attached to the tub then glued together in place on the tub. All I am left with is the put the final piece of tube from the P trap to tub drain in (for height). Again, this will be a drop the tub in see if it fits thing. Since I am gluing everything I would mark it then assmble it. As a sanity check I would assembled the drain to the tub to help hold everything in place. So, that is what my plan was, as of last night.

My new plan was to pick up a plastic tub drain with the slip nuts on the tub shoe and overflow tube. This would give me a little more wiggle room I think. If I go the plastic route, how do I attach it to the the trap? Another slip nut, or do I glue it?

Could I use some sort of slip nut or uninon on my schedule 40 unit to connect it to the P trap? BTW, the P trap is already in and glued. I am essentially concerned about the height, so if I could have a union or slip nut connection I would gain some wiggle room and not be permanent in nature.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Well, if I wanted to install a tub drain and do it the most difficult way, I would follow your plan. If I had to remove and reinstall the tub more than two times, I would consider myself a failure. You should do it one of two ways
1. Install the drain assembly on the the tub, THEN measure and position the trap after measuring where it should go. Next, remove it and then fasten it in place at the proper location and height relative to the floor as determined by the tub. finally set the tub in place over the drain and make the final connections. OR,

2. Measure where the tub drain and overflow openings are and then construct the drain assembly do that the fittings are in the correct locations and then set the tub in place. This option is usually only necessary when the trap is not in the right location and the drain assembly has to be offset to make it work.

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Well, if I wanted to install a tub drain and do it the most difficult way, I would follow your plan. If I had to remove and reinstall the tub more than two times, I would consider myself a failure. You should do it one of two ways

:D I usually do it the most difficult way.

Nevertheless, I think I will make my measuremeant relative to the floor like you said. It never dawned on me to use that as a reference....duh...

So I assume, when I get that in order, I just glue it, and forego slip connectors?

Thanks...Mike

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
I will say the crew "on staff here" are good. All my questions are always answered promptly....and I know I can be annoying...or is it anal....regardless, they both manifest them in the same way...:)

TIA...Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks