Another gurgle scenario

Users who are viewing this thread

wuptdo

Reaction score
Experts,

I've done a bunch of searching and reading. My conclusion is plumbing installations are as unique as people. I too have a gurgle. Shower/tub gurgles only when the 1st flr sink is used. Now, I must say I have an old house that I bet was never vented properly in the first place. I've attached a picture.

Some notes:

"white" pvc is 2"
"off color" PVC is 1.5"
waste is 4" cast iron to septic

I tried to trace the current vent pipe but not sure if it's clear. It offshoots from the cast iron in basement, out the house sill? and 3/4 up the side of the house. There is no vent for the 1st flr sink which appears to be the source of the shower/tub gurgle. Any ideas? I know it's a mess. An AAV on the 1st floor sink?

Live in NH.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 272

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That's a busy picture... :rolleyes:
Washer machine trap must get siphoned every time it drains. Hard to tell what else is going on. Text in pic is too small to read. Can we bother you for more pics from differnet angles¿

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That system was assembled by someone who had heard, and believed, that anyone can do plumbing, and who needs codes and inspections. Above the tub trap there is a tee. Where do the two pipes, at the tee, go? I assume one of them is the actual tub/shower drain but what is the other one, probably the vertical one.

wuptdo

Reaction score
More images...

Here are some other angles. I'll modify the first image with bigger text tonight. Hope this helps. And yes! I forgot. The washing machine discharge overflows!

Attachments

• PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 240
  • PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 242
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 247

wuptdo

Reaction score
That system was assembled by someone who had heard, and believed, that anyone can do plumbing, and who needs codes and inspections. Above the tub trap there is a tee. Where do the two pipes, at the tee, go? I assume one of them is the actual tub/shower drain but what is the other one, probably the vertical one.

I concede this. Hopefully the new images help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get that washer line overflowing then take off the cleanout plug at the end of the cast iron and see if the pipe is clogged and holding water.

wuptdo

Reaction score
bigger text...

...more legible.

Attachments

• bment.jpg
    bment.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 223

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure if you understand yet. What you have is not even worthy of being called plumbing.

I'm quite sure any competent plumber would start by cutting out everything there and re-piping all of it.
It's really what needs to be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks