Replace 2 " galvenized at vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

LittleLisa

Reaction score
My house is 50yrs+ old and I am remodeling the downstairs bathroom. Since I have plumbing and drains exposed, I would like to replace the galvenized to PVC for the upstairs shower/tub drain. After I cut the 2" galvenized pipe close enough to the vent stack that I can still get a flex coupler attached, should I attempt to unthread the rest from the vent stack? How difficult will this be since I can't even break it loose to unscrew it from up above (hence cutting it instead)? The old galvenized pipe looks rusted at the vent stack and some of the old lead seal is coming out, but I"m afraid to break old vent stack it's looks in good condition and do not want to go down that road! Is there a way to make it easier to remove pipe from vent stack without breaking stack?

LittleLisa

Reaction score

Attachments

• Vent stack.jpg
    Vent stack.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 292

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your camera has a macro mode, try that...it's hard to tell from what you've posted. Depending on the camera, it may be an icon like a flower or something like that. That will allow it to focus closer.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would just cut the pipe and attach the new to the stub using a Fernco Proflex banded rubber coupling....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks