(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Leaking shower head

Default Leaking shower head

I've just installed a single handled Pegasus shower valve ( I know, I know...). When I turn it on water comes out of the shower head as well as the spout. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix? Oh! the reason I replaced the whole thing is because the fixture I had before did the same thing.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo60 View Post
    I've just installed a single handled Pegasus shower valve ( I know, I know...). When I turn it on water comes out of the shower head as well as the spout. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix? Oh! the reason I replaced the whole thing is because the fixture I had before did the same thing.
    What kind of piping did you use between the spout and the shower valve? Also how far is the spout from the valve?

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    What kind of piping did you use between the spout and the shower valve? Also how far is the spout from the valve?

1/2 inch CPVC and the distance is 6 inches. I'm using the existing hole in the shower surround.

Default head

The CPVC is the problem and if the old one was done the same way it was the problem with it also.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Where is the leak coming from¿ The catridge or where CPVC meets valve¿ Did you use teflon tape and or pipe dope¿
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Is the smaller ID of the CPVC causing the problem? Should I replace with 1/2 inch PVC or galvanized pipe. Manufacturer's specs are 8 inch minimum space between valve and spout. Could that be the problem? Kingsotall, it's not a leak, just when I turn on the water it comes out of the shower head and the spout before I pull up the spout shut off (or whatever you call it). When I do that the shower works just fine, no leaks anywhere.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Make the pipe between the valve and the spout copper, and your problem should go away. Don't even think about galvanized unless you like rusty bathwater.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo60 View Post
    Is the smaller ID of the CPVC causing the problem? Should I replace with 1/2 inch PVC or galvanized pipe. Manufacturer's specs are 8 inch minimum space between valve and spout. Could that be the problem? Kingsotall, it's not a leak, just when I turn on the water it comes out of the shower head and the spout before I pull up the spout shut off (or whatever you call it). When I do that the shower works just fine, no leaks anywhere.
    CPVC is one problem, if the manufacturer states it needs to be 8" away from the valve that is trouble as well. Before making a new hole you can try to pipe it with galvanized real quick and see if it works proper, if not then you need to lower the extra 2" if you can.

Apparrently you did not read the fine print in the instructions where is said "copper only" for the drop to the shout, no CPVC and no PEX. Also, the length of the drop is important.

Default pipe

6" or 8" it is immaterial. The recommended distance is to insure that the trim plate does impact the spout, so if 6" works that is fine.