coupling seating

Users who are viewing this thread

woogie

Reaction score
I recently took out a ball valve in my shower area and replaced it with 1/2" copper pipe using 2 couplings. After I was done soldering the couplings I noticed the pipe was bent slightly in the fitting. I turned the water back on and there were no leaks. Will this cause the joint to fail over time?

Rad777

Reaction score
The solder should compensate for this, you should be ok as long as you soldered it good ( waited for solder to come out other end ).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It depends and there is no way for us, or you, to tell. A copper solder joint depends on a very tight fit between the tubing and the fitting. IF the cocked pipe caused a larger gap inside the fitting, then the sweat joint will be compromised at that point. But whether that would cause a leak or joint failure sometime in the future depends on how badly it was compromised. I have seen terrible solder joints which held for decades, and then fell apart when something touched them just right.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is impossible to determine is a sweat joint is okay unless I make it myself.

The repair coupling may be off center on the joint or it may be fine.
I have no way of telling.

woogie

Reaction score
thanks all for your input. The fittings are behind a wall with no access (which is why I was removing the ball valves in the first place) so I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and redo the assembly before I close it up again.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
If possible, pump up the system to a good test pressure(according to code) and test it with air before closing up the wall.

Is there another shut off that is more accessible so you can shut the water off later if needed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks