Flange Extender, necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

python

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently retiled by basement bathroom floor. The metal flange is now about 1/4" below the tile surface.

Is it necessary to use the "Closet Flange Extender"? Or can I simply use the wax ring right on top of the old flange?

If I have to use an extender, my old flange is a little warped, can I use silicone in between the plastic extender and the metal flange? My guess is that without silicone the interface between the warped metal flange and the plastic extender will not seal. Since I am on a concerte floor, I prefer not to have to screw the extender down, but rather pass the toilet mounting bolts from the flange right through the extender and up through the toilet.

You assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use a extension ring, with Silicone to seal it with.

jsc_flange_extender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The ring should NOT be deformed. If it is the question is WHY did it happen. If it is not perfectly even, the extenders seal will be questionable. You ALWAYS pass the bolts through the extender from the original flange. But, since you are only talking about 1/4", a #10 extra thick wax seal will be all that is needed.

python

Reaction score
I am not certain why it happened. It is possible that the tiler and or renovator might have done it during construction. But it definitely does not show an equal gap as I pass a straight edge across the tiles above it (remember it is 1/4" below the tiles' surface). I discovered that as I was trying to lay down teh extender. Hence, I thought if I forgo the extender and go straight for the wax, I might get better results. My concern was that if the extender does not seal properly over the flange then I will have a "gas" (smell) leak back into the washroom.

I take it from your advice to go staright for the thick wax since the gap is not that big.

I appreciate your advice and I will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks