Screw through ABS pipe :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

stern_howie

Reaction score
Hello,

A Clogged toilet toilet (now clear) has brought me to a spot in the wall downstairs where upon removing a piece of drywall exposes a screw through the 3" ABS pipe.

I picked up a 3" coupling but before I do any cutting etc. I am looking for any tips. Obviously fitting a coupling to pipes before they are installed is a lot easier than installing in to a pipe already in place.

I don't think the pipe has got much play from side-to-side....I've put together ABS before so I am familiar with the adhesive etc. it's the cutting of the pipe to fit the coupling I am stuck on.

thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One possibility is to use a repair coupling...this is one that doesn't have a ridge in the middle of it. Then, cut it so you part is about 190-200 degrees or so - large enough to be able to snap over the pipe, but still have some clamping capability. Then, slobber it with glue and snap it in place.

stern_howie

Reaction score
thanks jadnashua, here's the rub...I can't get the screw out of the existing pipe (and oh how I tried). It seems as though part of the blockage is caught on the screw inside. So I don't think your method will help....I think I need a cutting solution.

TedL

Reaction score
I'd seriously consider using a banded no-hub coupling like the Pro-Flex:

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings.

Cut pipe at the screw , remove SS band from coupling, get neoprene into place on one side, fold back over itself and move other pipe into place; flip neoprene back onto second pipe; push together; reinstall SS band. Softsoap or dish detergent lube might make sliding onto pipe easier.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have done it as Jadnashua described...

Get soe pliers on that screw and pull as you turn it.
There are no threads left to jack it out of the hole.

Cut the ABS slip coupling as shown below...

pvcslipcoupling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stern_howie

Reaction score
thank you for your replies. TedL, are you suggesting not using the stainless steel shield that comes with the pro flex?

Redwood / Jadnashua regarding your method, I only saw the coupling with the ridge at Home Depot, I guess I'll have to look around a bit for one like that. Also in your photo Redwood, that looks like a PVC coupling...I'm assuming they make ABS no ridge ones? I'pulled/twisted on that screw but because there is something on it insided the pipe it won't come through. :-(

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I really thing the screw needs to come out. Otherwise it will be creating an obstruction.

You might be able to get away with a section of hub cut from a regular coupling. This would make a much narrower patch, but might be okay.

You will find the black ABS part if you look around. Try a real plumbing supply instead of HD.

stern_howie

Reaction score
yeah I know gardner....I'm going to drill a small hole next to the screw and try and clear the obstruction off of it, hopefully I can then get it out. I'd already thought I might be able to cut down the ridged coupling and apply that.

Will post back when done with the results.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Pull while turning...

Yes the photo is of a pvc slip coupling but ABS is available too.

boulder_deb

Reaction score
oye - seems to be a trend today - mechanical fasteners thru plumbing. I sent a nail thru my copper - sure wish it was PVC. I'd feel a lot more qualified than I do with copper. :( Good luck to you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have removed the screw and heated a butter knife or similar and melted the hole shut...I have yet to have a call back...

Redwoods way will work well and so will a banded coupling coupling...I use the heated knife method when there is drywall hugging both sides of the PVC and the repair would leave a bulge in the drywall...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
repair

YOu do not need the coupling without a ridge. Just cut the coupling in half and use the piece which does not have a ridge. Cut that piece almost, but not exactly, in half and snap the larger of the two pieces around the pipe, and over the hole, after applying cement to both surfaces.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If getting the screw out is becoming that much of a challenge, drilling over the existing screw with a small hole saw would make quick work of removing it. The hole has to be fixed anyway. :)

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
cacherchick, wouldn't want to leave a burred edge in pipe that would allow crap (no pun intended) to get caught up and cause blockages down the road. If he can get away with just a screw hole in the pipe that would be the best case scenario. I like your tenacity though! Git R Done!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

It would have to be a VERY ragged edge to trap material falling down a vertical pipe, but after making the hole larger, just rub the inside to remove any burrs. But the screw will either unscrew or pull out with the proper amount of force.

stern_howie

Reaction score
Thanks jadnashua & TedL I used your method for fixing the problem...I cut the ridged cupling above the ridge and used that to patch. Now this weekend I have to fix the drywall. I have that <ahem> covered.

thanks again everyone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
credit

You gave the credit to one person who advised cutting the pipe and using a NoHub coupling, and another who suggested a repair coupling which you would probably have never found. It seems you used neither suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks