Can't remove anode rod or fill tube???

Users who are viewing this thread

Handiman

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to lengthen the usable life of my water heater by replacing the anode rod (ZINC?) and using an angled fill (dip) tube (to really get all the debris out).

Problem is I can't get either one off. It's almost as if they are welded on there with rust and corrosion. I tried pretty hard using a breaker bar but I don't want to break the actual fittings so I stopped. I used all kinds of PB BLASTER and WD40 to no avail letting it soak for days. Any other way to get these off?
Thanks

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Got an impact wrench? I'm told that's how they're installed...with the age and corrosion, it may be the only way to remove them as well without twisting the plumbing into a pretzel.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I get a good quality six sided socket 1" drive and a long breaker to get the leverage needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I take them out with 1 hand and no need to hold the tank with my battery powered Milwaulkee Impact gun...

330779_med.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
caveat

Just beware that if the tank is marginal, you can break the welds when you create the force necessary to remove them. Also, the curved dip tube ONLY keeps the tank clean when there is enough velocity to do so. Most new faucets with their limited flow will not do it. The bathtub and clothes washer are usually the only things that make it work these days. AND, the stuff it stirs up does not "disappear". It has to go someplace and that someplace is usually the aerators of the faucets, plugging them up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks