Correcting a poor tub installation

Users who are viewing this thread

David_Roessler

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the process of trying to recover from an interesting approach to remodling (read: Bad).

Our problem is that the new tub that was installed makes a loud "creak" when standing in the tub. We have determined that the wall side of the tub is moving, and appears to be rubbing against the wall board behind it.

Does anyone have suggestions on how we may be able to remedy this situation? As the entire shower has been re-tiled, we would like to avoid a second complete remodel...

David_Roessler

Reaction score
A bit more information

Greetings again. It appears that when this tub was installed, it was done without the benefit of stringers - it looks like corner posts were used instead.
It is looking more and more like we'll be removing the tub and whatever tile is required to move it ... :(

Again, any thoughts on how to get around a complete re-remodeling are greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The loud "creak" is caused by movement.

You may be able to pull some drywall off the end, going through from another room and push in some sort of mix that will harden and support the bottom of the tub.
If the tub can't flex downward, it should be quieter.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tub problems

Terry is right about what you got to do

basically if you can attack the problem from both ends
of the tub from the other rooms you will be able to either pour
some soupy concrete finish topping mix under the unit and probably
remedy the problem...

but first it might be best to add some 2x4 legs from the floor up to the lip of the tub for more support to keep it from shifting downwards...

nail them in place first then pour the concrete...

I have also had to use expanding foam insualtion that comes
in a can before to get back into those hare to reach places where the concrete just simply would not flow to..like directly underneath
the unit where you are standing....
you can buy those cans with an extra long straw that the foam
pours out through....

it works real well too....and has gotten me out of troubles before.

anything is worth trying before you tear out that tub.

Last edited:

David_Roessler

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Many thanks to both Terry and Mark for your suggestions. Our plan of attack will be:
1) open the walls on both sides of the tub. Once side will be painful as the wall has already been finished, but I was looking for the opportunity to practice my plastering skills anyways :)

2) Insert whatever bracing possible

3) Stuff as much concrete under the tub as I can get in

4) Fill the rest with construction foam

5) Move elsewhere (just kidding)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks