(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice (help) with a garbage disposal replacement

Default Need Some Advice (help) with a garbage disposal replacement

Admin / moderators...please remove this thread from the forums...

Thank you
    Last edited by Martin F.; 04-20-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Many places require an air GAP for the DW. If yours has the hose hooked like shown, you have a problem! You need to at LEAST, run the hose in a loop as high as you can get it under the countertop before coming back down to the GD inlet. Also, make sure that you knocked the plug out of the GD on the DW inlet, or it will make a major mess! As it is now, instead of draining to the sewer, when running the GD, you could be pumping waste back into the DW. A high loop will help, but not eliminate that. An air gap will elminate that issue. The lack of an air gap will not affect the sink draining, though.

If the water doesn't have to go up to get to the drain, it should not back up. If the new GD has its outlet lower than the old one, you may need to redo more. A picture would be more revealing than your drawing.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

A lot has to do with what state you live in. If you are in Illinois, you cannot discharge the dishwasher into the garbage disposal at all. Also Illinois requires the disposal to be trapped separately from the other compartment of the sink.

So to get advice that will be code relevant it would be helpful to know what city and state you are in.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Well the trap set up is wrong. a P-trap only uses one U-bend hooked up to the quarter bend, no other pipe is supposed be between the two fittings. The discharge pipe from the dishwasher needs to be looped as high as the counter top then into the disposal. The disposal not draining means there is a blockage in the unit or up to the center waste tee you have there since you said it does not come up the other side. Below is how the p-trap should look properly assembled.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

What you have there is an illegal S-trap.

Garbage Disposals normally come with a knock-out plug in the DW inlet.

The exposed Romex wire running to the appliance is also a code violation.
    Last edited by cacher_chick; 04-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One way to make that work better is to get a longer tailpiece from the t connecting the two sink drains so that the outlet of the trap could go straight into the wall.

GD have a metal knockout the prevents leaks out that port if you don't have a DW attached. It may not be a full, complete seal, but the pressure from the DW will give it grief if you don't knock that plug, or knockout from the base of that fitting. It would clog up with crud and slow the draining of the DW.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Does not make any sense that the disposal will not drain but the DW has no problem draining. The knockout plug is surely still in place and there is a blockage somewhere downstream of the disposer.

A highloop is not required under the sink if the DW has a high loop integrated on it like an Asko or Maytag do. I think KitchenAid also includes a highloop on their units.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

There is a baffle in the tee and it may be clogged enough for your D/W to drain
    but not the desposer with the solids.

Oh, OK I get it now. Misunderstood the sentence where DW drains fine but GD doesn't. So have you took the pipes apart under the sink┐ I know you're not a plumber and all but I swear nothing's gonna bite you when you do! lol

btw, an attitude of, "Code who needs code┐ I'll tell you what you can do with your code!" gets you nowhere real fast on this forum. I know, an annoyed wife is a real bear but please breathe deep and we'll get you through this, buddy.

Just trying to help.

Okay now your D/W drains but not the desposer is that what the problem is?
    And is it a new desposer I have seen these things act funny no matter how it is
    plumbed.

Okay what I see is a clogged sink drain that needs to be snaked and if the t where the disposer and the other sink drain come together has no baffle it needs replacing as well as the s-trap.

Okay then that is your problem.
    When the disposer doesn't turn it rapidly clogs up.
    The dishwasher pumps into the disposer so it doesn't drain and just fills the sink.
    The non baffle tee needs to be replaced with a baffle tee and the s-trap needs to be fixed.

Sorry if I missed one of the points in your long winded disertation.

I thought your new one was already installed.
    The airgap may or, may not be require check with your local building inspector.

Building inspector┐ Redwood, are you trying to spook the herd┐