(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PVC Cement smell after 4 weeks

Default PVC Cement smell after 4 weeks

a plumber changed an outside valve as well as the inside valve some 4 weeks ago, I just connected the sink inside and when I turned the water on there was a strong smell of PVC cement/glue. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Rory
    Last edited by rbahamas; 04-19-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer Waterwelldude's Avatar

Yes, since you just started using the sink, there may be a little smell. It may have been trapped in the line. Now that you have it hooked up, and using it. It should go away pretty quick.

Travis
    "I shall never surrender or retreat" -Col. William Travis

ok thanks, cause i let it run through a while and it was still a strong smell. The valves werent even for my apartment but I guess that is all joined together so its the same water. My concern was that if the plumber knew what he was doing and used the right cement/glue. ill check it again a little later and see how it is. Thanks.

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer Waterwelldude's Avatar

As far as I know, all cement/glue smells the same.
    I am still waiting for the one with the fresh winter green aroma to come out..lol..

Travis
    "I shall never surrender or retreat" -Col. William Travis

Why would there be PVC on the water supply side anyway? It is not code approved for hot water and any valves that I know of would not be suitable for potable water usage either. Are you sure you don't mean CPVC? I'm sure over time it will dissipate either way, but I'm not sure how running water in your sink would release any smell.
    I consider myself an accomplished DIY'er. I don't know everything but help where I can. I'm not a pro, but like to think I'm professional.

Quote Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
    Why would there be PVC on the water supply side anyway? It is not code approved for hot water and any valves that I know of would not be suitable for potable water usage either. Are you sure you don't mean CPVC? I'm sure over time it will dissipate either way, but I'm not sure how running water in your sink would release any smell.
    down here we have no code for that, and we dont drink the water, so its all PVC (far as i can tell). I dont even know what CPVC is

Yep i ran the water again tonight and there came the cement smell. Its actually in the water itself as it comes off on rag when i wet it.