2 main irrigation shutoff valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Handiman

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 20+ year old house with everything RAINBIRD. I'm having trouble turning on the water after the system was winterized (first time trying this).

I have 3 zones with 3 antisiphon valves (1 foot underground) and a backflow preventer (above ground). It looks like I have 2 main shutoff valves for the irrigation system (both of these valves are 4 feet deep). I opened 1 valve and the other 4 foot deep valve hole filled up and pours out water. How do I dewinterize this system? What is the idea behind having these 2 main shutoff valves? The main line shutoff valve is at the street (which of course is always on).

Thanks

Handiman

Reaction score
Well looks like the main irrigation shutoff valves are right before the PVB (pressure vacuum breaker) and then right after it. What is the sequence for turning on the water without the water filling and pouring out of the main irrigation shutoff valve after the PVB backflow preventer? Never thought it was going to be this complicated.

Handiman

Reaction score
LOL, well I figured it out myself. The valve after the PVB (pressure vacuum breaker) was actually a drain valve (hence water filling up tube), so all I had to do was turn it clockwise (shut) and all is working great. GEEZ that took forever to figure out something so simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks