(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bad flow at kitchen sink

Default Bad flow at kitchen sink

I have good water pressure but bad flow at my kitchen sink. I've checked all the obvious, replaced the faucet and still have not solved the problem. Plus the water only gets luke warm after a half hour of running with a hot water cirrculator. Where do I go next?

Have you changed the angle stops or the basin supplies?
    [B]
    You Should Assume Everything I say Is A Complete Lie - Thank You ~

No, but I've inspected the hoses and I opened and closed the angle stops several times which was another suggestion. Since I moved in I've had bad flow at that sink. I replaced the faucet, installed a hot circ pump, checked the regulator, checked the valve at the street, tested the water pressure at the front and back of the house.

What do you mean by "open and close"

This is what you need to do:

1) Disconnect the "speedys" or "Basin supplies" from the faucet leaving them connected to the angle stops.

2) Grab a 2 or 5 gallon bucket ( Mop Bucket works fine)

3) Point each supply line(speedy or basin supply) into the bucket and open that angle stop wide open and see how your pressure is, this is the only real way to see.

4) Do the hot and the cold side.

NOTE: If the water pressure is awesome or good using the method above then it is the faucet OR a problem with the faucet.

Did you install this faucet?

Is the faucet clogged with dope or debris?
    [B]

Yes, I installed the faucet and no dope was needed. This was an existing problem which prompted the faucet replacement.
    What I mean by open and close is opening and closing the angle stops. That was suggested by a plumber at work and also to check that the valve was fully open at the street.
    Yes I do have awesome pressure at the basin supply.
    Should I recheck the faucet?
    The existing had the same problem.
    In how many seconds should I get 2 gal at 60psi ? I'm guessing maybe 30 seconds with a 1/2 supply?

I would try a new faucet, or if this faucet is semi-new, I would call in on the warranty, if its old buy a new one.

I am not there, but at this point, I would say its faucet for sure from everything you have told me.
    [B]

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the faucet has a 2.5 gallon flow restrictor, it will take 48 seconds for two gallons.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Nearly every faucet in the house is restricted by today's codes. There are exceptions: tub fillers, washing machine fillers, hose bibs.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

You say you've checked the obvious - we are assuming you've taken the aerator off the faucet and cleaned it, right?

You were correct it was the faucet. It was the valve that supplies the spray head and the faucet. The valve was not opening fully to the faucet which explains why the spray seemed to be fine.
    The aerator was the first thing I checked in the old faucet and in the new one I ditched the water saving washer with the 1/8 inch hole in it.
    I got 5 gal in 30 sec at the basin supply
    Thank you everyone

You're Welcome!

GLad you got it going!
    [B]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If the faucet has a 2.5 gallon flow restrictor, it will take 48 seconds for two gallons.

Thanks!!

I love numbers
    [B]