Cast iron pipe leaking in basement wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Sesquialtera

Reaction score
I wondering what this will require to fix, and whether I might try a temporary patch until I settle on a solution.

Here's the situation: vertical cast iron waste pipe set in pocket in stone foundation wall; the pocket is concreted over (i.e. encases the pipe) to a height about 5' from floor. the 18" segment between the top of the concrete and the first hub is corroded in the back and leaking water. As shown the in pictures, that segment also contains two wyes that are fabricated from saddles u-bolted to the straight pipe. I first thought that a saddle seam was leaking, but it turns out they are tight and its the straight pipe that is a goner.

Could I encase the corroded areas in epoxy as a stop-gap until I can schedule proper repair? How much demolition is the repair likely to require?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_3874-1.JPG
    IMG_3874-1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_3877-1.JPG
    IMG_3877-1.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 925

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
1 - A plumber

2 - A jack hammer

3 - money in your checking account

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow...
I hope you're not in my service area planning on calling in for service tomorrow...:eek:

I hate it when they send me those kind of jobs Saturday after the supply house closes...

This job is bigger than Mighty Putty even with the triple offer!

48_1196860461.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I will go there with bells on. I love them type of jobs, also have two garages full of random supplies that I have collected over the years. like the Upright wye with a side inlet they use in basements for piping in the laundry sinks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks