Can I use a 4" sweep 90 instead of closet bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty53

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and I have cut the 4" horizontal cast iron sewer pipe below the old flange and bend. My plan is to use a 4" sweep 90 (height isn't an issue) and a short length of 4" pvc and connect to the horizontal cast iron with a banded no hub fitting.

Is this ok? The only actual "closet bends" i can find at stores are 4x3 reducing. It doesn't make sense to me to reduce to 3" for a tiny run then back to 4", so I'd like to go 4" the whole way.

Is this acceptable? I can post pictures if that would help

Marty

replace_lead_bend.jpg

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut. Terry Love

fernco_hub_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is fine...
Depending on the changes you make some attention to venting may be required.

Marty53

Reaction score

Thanks Redwood. I think the vent is fine.. its only about 2.5 feet horizontal running into a wye in the 4" vertical stack with 4" vent to roof.

Do they just not sell 4" closet bends anymore? Or would they still be available thru a plumbing supply house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
closrt bend

They do make 4x4 closet bends, and they are available at most plumbing supply houses. However, if height/length is not an issue then a closet bend is not necessary, since most of them only have a 6" riser.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks