No water at all coming out of faucet - help???

Users who are viewing this thread

manyoceans

Reaction score
So, I live in an older home (from around early 1900s), but there have been lots of updates to the house (I assume plumbing is included in this - I know under the sinks at least...). So, my husband and I have lived here for a year and a half now and had no problems with the plumbing, except for sinks starting to drain slow from buildup. A couple days ago, I went to take a shower - I turned on the faucet and there was absolutely no water coming out - and no sounds, either (our faucet is the kind with one thing that turns - from hot to cold - I think it is usually the other way?). I tried a couple times and nothing. Let it sit for a moment while I was freaking out, and then it turned on when I tried it next. I went to use it again today - nothing. Tried letting it sit in the turned on position - nothing. No sound, no water at all. I have tried turning all the way to the other side - nothing. I also tried pulling up the shower thingy, and still no water. So, I am really kind of freaked out and I'm hoping someone might be able to provide me with an idea of what might be going on? I have tried googling it, but all the problems seem to be a little different (shower turns on, but not bath or vice versa or hot water won't turn on but cold will or water trickles out or there is noise when faucet is turned on, etc). We have no water whatsoever and no noise. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Christy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Usually you do not have complete shutoff with a malfunctioning valve, so there may be some unusual situation there. The shower head, or its connection could be plugged since there is often a screen at that point. Your valve also must have its internal part installed backwards because you should have cold water first, and if you have someone fix the flow problem tell them about that also so they can reverse the piece.

manyoceans

Reaction score
It's a tub and shower. It seemed really bizarre to me that it would be working fine and then all of a sudden - nothing at all would come out...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks