Buy Loo online or try luck w/ boxstore?

Users who are viewing this thread

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Just a quick survey of opinions:

I've never replaced a toilet in my life, though I do lots of stuff around the house repair-wise. My parents have three American Standards that use 7GPF, so they wish to replace them with something that's more efficient and less prone to being clogged. I've narrowed the toilet choices down to two:

1) Eco Drake Round bowl

2) Eljer Titan round bowl

The Eljer could be bought and transported by myself locally from a hardware store, and the Toto's would have to be shipped. I'm concerned that the toilets may get damaged in transit, so I'm considering just buying the Eljer (that and it can handle more waste per flush than the Eco Drake). Am I being paranoid here? I've heard the Toto's are awesome, and I like the 1.28 GPF of the Eco Drake. The Eljer uses more water by comparison, but it seems to not be put together as well and is prone to leakage.

Because of these concerns, I haven't taken the plunge on either water closet. Can anybody sway me in either direction? Which should I pick up and why? The Toto's get the best reviews across the board, but a round-bowl Eco model isn't as forceful as a Titan...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is only one choice worth considering. The Toto Drake is the winner hands down. I had to make a 300 mile round trip drive to get my Toto (from Terry) but it was well worth it. In 18 months not one clog, not once has it needed a extra flush. Yes, you can buy cheaper toilets in Big Box Stores and even some plumbing supply houses, but why settle of 2nd best for a fixture that is used by everyone in the household everyday, every week, every month for years and years.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dang! I hit send too soon. I would suggest you get the elongated bowl. The round bowl and go with the ADA height. The elongated bowl is preferred by men and ADA height is so much easier for us "more experienced" folks. With standard height, most average sized people sit on them with their knees higher than their waists. This makes standing much more difficult. The ADA height is about the same as a regular dining room chair and it is much easier to stand up.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
I would prefer the elongated bowl Eco Drake but I'm concerned about the increased length. I'll have to remeasure when I get home, but I may be able to get it to fit. I would also prefer the ADA height since I, my brother, and my dad are both over 6' tall. However, my mother is a short little gal at 5'2" or so, and I think the added height may be uncomfortable for her... I would also like the CEFIONTECT finish which I believe is only available with the elongated Eco Drake. I'll see how it all measures and what mom thinks of using a step ladder to get on the throne :)

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Also, do a search on this site and you'll get some negative opinions about buying a toilet from an online vendor - main argument against it is that a toilet may suffer hidden damage during shipping which you only find out after you've installed it and have a leak - then it's very difficult to file a damage claim.

Hopefully you can have a local plumbing supply house sell you a Toto.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
I've been recommended an elongated bowl, but due to space restrictions, round bowl is in my future. I don't mind, I grew up with those round-bowl A/S's and they are comfortable enough for their purpose. Is the Eco Drake round bowl the best choice for me here, or is there another model that would work best with the round bowl? or maybe a compact elongated bowl?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since porcelain is strong, but brittle, dropping it can turn it into some useless shards. Given that and local prices verses the internet, I had success ordering on the net. The last order I did had numerous pieces, and they banded it all on a pallet which may have made things better. One earlier order was the single item, and it needed to be resent...it broke somewhere along the way and I never saw it...only noticed it didn't arrive when they said and I found out they were replacing it because it got broken.

If you can find a local dealer, you may be able to get close to the on-line prices, and then you can examine things before you come home...much better, but sometimes it just works out better with the alternative.

The elongated is about 1.75" deeper than the round, not much. If you can fit it, you'll prefer it.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Yeah, I do want an elongated bowl. At least in one bathroom, the door does swing in, and with the current round bowl, it is within 8-10" of the front of the bowl. Would a Toto elongated bowl still be OK? Do you know of any online retailers to avoid? I realize Terry sells toilets too, so talking too much about other online retailers may be a conflict of interest. If that's the case, I understand. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you live in an area Terry services, buy from him, you'll get good service and help keep this forum active. If not, best to buy locally. If not available, then it's pot luck. There's a lot that can go wrong with delivery of a fragile piece of porcelain. Plus, you're on their delivery schedule, not your own. But if you are flexible, it can work out. I have a lot of choices (now anyways) where I live, so the decision is easier. that wasn't always the case. Toto now has a designer studio where they showcase (most?) of their stuff within a reasonable distance. I was invited to their opening, but didn't go.

Keep in mind that if you can close the door and it doesn't hit the toilet, an elongated one may stick out a little further, but your knees may end up in the same location...you butt ends up towards the back of the toilet, regardless of whether it is round or elongated.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
I live in Nebraska, so unless Terry wants to make a road trip...:)
If I was in his area, I would buy from him MAINLY because he keeps this form alive and kicking. Places like this site are really important for those of us who aren't 'in the know' to get an honest assessment of plumbing products. Terry and the moderators on this site tell it like it is, blunt and to the point. I like that - no bull.
I called a local plumber who lives in my neighborhood. He exclusively installs Toto and American Standard. Chaulk up yet another endorsement for Toto!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
FYI, I am in Omaha - there is a supply house called Kelly Supply that sells Totos. They usually have a decent selection in stock.

I bought my Soiree and 2 Gwyneths from them. (I like the Gwyneth better - might want to check out this model.)

TOTO manufactures many of their products in America

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Their prices aren't bad, either.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to see my toilets in action (bet you never thought you'd get that offer off a plumbing web site!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks