Will Round-Bowl Eco Drake do the Job?

Users who are viewing this thread

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the three AS water-hogs that were installed in my parents' house in the late '70's with Toto Drakes. I'd really like the Eco Drake model specifically, but I'm pretty sure I can only install round-bowl models due to space restrictions. I see by the MAP tests that the round-bowl Eco only moves 500g of solid waste compared to the regular Drake's power. Would only having the ability to move 500g be enough to justify getting the Eco model? My family is quite...grandiose...with our feces production, which has led to many stoppages with the older A/S models. Would it be wiser to just go with a regular Drake and get a better flush than the Eco? What is a round-bowl regular Drake rated at in terms of 'poopie pushing prowess'?

BTW, very informative site. It answers lots of practical questions about a subject many don't like to discuss. Great job, Terry!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can find the ratings and space requirements of all Toto toilets on Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets. One problem you will have is finding an ADA round bowl. There are only a few ADAs that are not also elongated.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
You can find the ratings and space requirements of all Toto toilets on Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets. One problem you will have is finding an ADA round bowl. There are only a few ADAs that are not also elongated.

Hi Gary,

I guess what I'm mostly looking for is or not the 500g rating of the Eco Drake is powerful enough to move solid waste? The regular Drake is 900g, which is almost overkill, which is what I was looking for (see OP). But if 500g will take care of most user solid waste, then I'd like to pick up a round-bowl Eco Drake for the added water savings.

Does the added height of the ADA bowl make a difference in flush power? Is it the additional 'fall distance' that helps things move along?

More than anything, I'd like to know that the Eco Drake will be as efficient at waste removal as it is in water conservation. I looked at the Aquila as well with its higher map rating, but the install looks a bit tricky for a first-timer such as myself...:rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry has discussed his conversations with the person that does the MAPP testing and they agree, anything above 500 g is mostly meaningless.

A taller tank and/or bowl height is a factor in how well it flushes...height of the water is one reason why they don't dump all of it during a flush...and a taller system helps too.

Toto is the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world...you won't go wrong with the Drake.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
I'm really feeling good about buying the Eco Drake, but just one final question for everyone: I read that sometimes low-flow toilets don't work as well in older homes with cast iron pipes (which is my situation). IF this is true, should I instead opt for the 1.6 GPF Drake over the 1.28 GPF Eco Drake for reliability? Would there really be an issue here? Again, the original toilets are 7 GPF, so by contrast that's a bit more H2O pushing waste to the sewers (am I over analyzing this toilet thing or what ? :p).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To my best recollection, this has never been even mentioned on this forum. Certainly the drain condition is important with any toilet, but I don't think the material the drain is made of has any effect. The newer Toto eco models have excellent performance reports and I think would be a good choice.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To my best recollection, this has never been even mentioned on this forum. Certainly the drain condition is important with any toilet, but I don't think the material the drain is made of has any effect. The newer Toto eco models have excellent performance reports and I think would be a good choice.

Some older drains in bad condition I.E. leaking...
may leak out the small quantities of water used in low flow toilets before the end of the pipe...
If this ocurrs dry pack clogs can result...

leon wieler

Reaction score
round front drake

I recently bought two 4.8l eco drakes, one round and one elongaged. The map test suggested that the elongated drake flushes better than the round. In real world flushing I found no difference. Both toilets never clog and both work three times as well as the 13 litre toilets they replaced. Given that I intend to replace all toilets in my apartment block I will be choosing the round front because it is smaller, $20 cheaper, and works excellent.

Last edited:

knocknock

Reaction score
First off, thank you Terry for this great site, your site helped out a lot when I was doing my research with what toilet to purchase. And also thanks to the experts and novice who reply to the posts on this site.

I just installed a Toto Eco Drake RF 1.28gpf CST743E yesterday (my first plumbing job ever). I would just like to share my observations: 1.)The toilet works great despite the small amount of water it uses, no left overs. 2.)It seems you can make the Drake act like a dual-flush system - just depress the lever and let go and it does the 1.28g flush, if you need more water just press the lever a little longer. 3.) Eco Drake is more generous with bowl water level than the 3.0g Crane it replaced. 4.)I noticed that the bowl was made in China while the tank was made in U.S. - under the rim where the holes are it was not glazed. 5.)I could not get the three point contact with bowl to toilet - it felt i was going to crack the bowl or the tank, but I'm satisfied it's off by no more than 1/32 of an inch, maybe my inexperience has something to do with it.

Then my question: It seems that the Eco Drake makes more gurgling sound at the end of the flush cycle than the other toilets in the house, is that normal?

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Well, I convinced my folks to pick up the Eco-Drake with a Softclose seat today from a local shop in Omaha that specializes in 'Green' fixtures. I paid a bit more for it than I would have ordering it online but I like supporting local business. Anyhow, I measured all three of my bathrooms every which way, and round-bowl is what I went with in the end for space reasons. No worries, I've only ever had round bowls in my home and found them plenty comfortable. I will attempt the install on Sunday, and hopefully all goes well.

The place i purchased the toilet from had the Eco Drake, Aquia II, Guinevere, and a really funky-looking one-piece Eco unit for varying prices. They were all hooked into a closed loop water tank so you could test the flush action. Wow! I was really impressed with the powerful flush on all models with only 1.28 gpf! Especially that Guinevere!

Regardless, I'm very excited for the Eco Drake and wanted to, again, say thanks Terry for an awesome site, and also to the mods for their great advice. You guys tell it like it is and I think you're right - the Toto was the correct choice for me! The fit and finish of the porcelain on the Drake (to my untrained eyes) appeared to be of a higher caliber than the A/S, Eljer, or even some of the Kohlers I looked at in the box stores.

Now if I can get her installed w/o issue, I'll be happy. Anybody know where I can drop off my old toilet w/o paying an arm and a leg?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Now if I can get her installed w/o issue, I'll be happy. Anybody know where I can drop off my old toilet w/o paying an arm and a leg?

Look up Habitat for Humanity. They have a "store" on 24th St where you can drop off building materials for re-use.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Toilet Drop off

Look up Habitat for Humanity. They have a "store" on 24th St where you can drop off building materials for re-use.

SteveW -

Awesome, thanks! The guy at the store I bought the Eco Drake from thought the closest place was in Lincoln. I'll give H for H a call, and see if they want this water-guzzling bad boy. BTW - its cool seeing a hometown person on this site. Small world! I picked up my Drake from a supply house in Rockbrook Village.

This may sound sad, but I'm actually excited to install this toilet! What the heck happened to me, anyway :eek: ?

EDIT - Called habitat for Humanity & they were more than happy to have my parents' old toilet. Great suggestion, Steve!

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Glad to help another Omahan! It is a small world. I don't recall "meeting" any others on this site besides you, yet.

Didn't know there was a Toto dealer in Rockbrook. I got mine from Kelly Supply. Would have liked to have seen the units in a showroom like they have at the place you went to.

I know the feeling of which you speak. Several of us have commented, from time to time, how our spouses and friends think we're a little weird because of our interest in and appreciation of fine plumbing fixtures!

Zoe's Mom

Reaction score
I've been haunting this site as we are in the process of putting a small addition onto a vacation home that involves gutting the one existing horror show of a bathroom and redoing it, slightly larger, plus adding a master bath. As I have gone on (sometimes at length) about various aspects of different toilet styles, I've gotten some interesting looks from my mother and husband who clearly think I've gone over the edge. They can understand my fascination and investigation on details to do with faucets, tile, cabinets.....but toilets??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In our modern world, we like things that work. It's a bonus if they are pleasant to look at too. A good toilet doesn't get your attention. A bad one can make you miserable. It's worth it to me to have one capable of being ignored. Toto makes some good ones that fall into that category.

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Trouble making three-point contact

I got my Eco Drake in today, and I'm in the process of installing it. I've got my level on top of the tank, trying to tighten it in increments. I can get it nice and level from side to side, but it keeps tilting forward (towards the bowl) when I go at it with a wrench. Do I use some type of shim to keep it level while tightening, then try and remove the shim? Or do I just try to keep the tank straight while I go at it?

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I got my Eco Drake in today, and I'm in the process of installing it. I've got my level on top of the tank, trying to tighten it in increments. I can get it nice and level from side to side, but it keeps tilting forward (towards the bowl) when I go at it with a wrench. Do I use some type of shim to keep it level while tightening, then try and remove the shim? Or do I just try to keep the tank straight while I go at it?

Forget about whether the tank is level ... that is a function of your floor. Just torqued each bolt a little at a time until the three point contact is met. Try not to complicate this;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank will pull into the cradle for it if you finish tightening it.

I set the tank so it's centered first, and then tighten down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks