HELP! Kohler Wellworth clogged--for two days

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
I have a Kohler Wellworth that has never flushed very well--small passage way, and low-flow (this is California). I even got a replacement Wellworth as this flushing problem was so common, that I traded it for a "new, improved" model at no charge.

Problem: Any substantial #2, and the toilet clogs. Not from TP, just from organic material.

In the past I've been able to clear with a plumber's friend, but this latest instance has not responded to that, no matter how much I try.

I've tried dumping in a pail of water, hoping to dislodge the blockage.

After a few hours, the extra water does go down the drain, but the blockage remains.

Is this the time to get a snake or other tool? Or is there some other method to try? Chemicals?

wellworth_92_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet auger...it will help if the clog is within about 4-5' of the toilet. Big box stores carry a couple of different models. Don't use chemicals...waste money and time and rarely work.

Might be time to invest in a toilet that actually works.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The whole Kohler line is fraught with problems, and the Wellworth in particular. Frankly, I think yours is working as well as you can expect. It will clog, you will have to plunge it frequently, and you will have to sometimes use an auger. There is nothing you are doing wrong, it is the nature of the beast. When you finally decide enough is enough, replace with a Toto, any model you wish, and you troubles with toilets will be over.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Trapways can be compromised by hard water and mineral buildup. Guess in that respect it wouldn't matter what toilet you got.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
kohler_wellworth_2000.jpg

The lower trapway of the Wellworth is known for clogging.
Elongated bowl, 125 grams
Regular bowl, 250 grams

If you use a closet auger on it, it may push out some of the problem.

Last edited:

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
Just bought a replacement

More plunging today, no success in undoing the blockage.

So I went out and bought a Toto ECO Drake this afternoon, and the installer is coming on Monday.

The plumber's friend will go back to the garage.

Thanks for the advice.

Donn2390

Reaction score
More plunging today, no success in undoing the blockage.

So I went out and bought a Toto ECO Drake this afternoon, and the installer is coming on Monday.

The plumber's friend will go back to the garage.

Thanks for the advice.

You are going to love your eco drake..! I've had mine in for about four months and all my troubles are behind me....
I'm thinking of having it moved to the living room so everyone can enjoy it.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before installing the new toilet, have the plumber ensure the drain is not clogged. A new Toto is a good choice, but nothing will work with a messed up drain line.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If plunging did not unclog your water closet. I do not think the trouble is with the water closet it self. There can be an obstruction beyond the water closet, or maybe something got flushed down the water closet that should not have. For example a toothbrush, comb, or even a Vaseline jar. Which would clog any water closet solid.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Heh, I pulled out gameboys and cartridges, glasses, but the one that made me cringe was false teeth. After I got them out and showed the homeowner what was clogging his water closet, he grabbed them and said "oh thats where they went." Then proceeded to rinse them off under the tap and put them in his mouth. *shudders*:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

I had a toilet that acted like yours last week. Plunging got it to drain, but not flush. Closet auger would not go into the toilet. Used my Ridgid Mini See-Snake and saw there was a lady's hair pick, one of those things that looks like a comb with long teeth, stuck at the top of the trap. Plunging and snaking had wedged it in tightly. Used a hook while watching with the SeeSnake to guide it, and was able to dislodge it and pull it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks