(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 3/16 " hole for Zoeller Sump Pumps -where?

Question 3/16 " hole for Zoeller Sump Pumps -where?

My Zoeller Sump is pumping into a Y and the bottom of the Y has an end cap with the 3/16" hole pointing (vertically) down at the water. It was installed by the plumber when the house was build. Is this arrangement releaving the "air-lock" possiblity as the pump manufacturer recomends? There is not any noticeable water splash as there would be if the 3/16" hole was higher up in the discharge line.
    Last edited by soccer123; 04-15-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correction

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soccer123 View Post
    My Zoeller Sump is pumping into a Y and the bottom of the Y has an end cap with the 3/16" hole pointing (vertically) down at the water. It was installed by the plumber when the house was build. Is this arrangement releaving the "air-lock" possiblity as the pump manufacturer recomends? There is not any noticeable water splash as there would be if the 3/16" hole was higher up in the discharge line.
    As long as there is a hole in the piping below the check valve and preferably below the pit lid its fine. I normally drill the hole about two to four inches up from the threaded adapter and angle it downward so the water will spray down back into the water.