Help, plz! Copper pipe question.

Users who are viewing this thread

seanc

Reaction score
Hi there,

i just finished the plumbing for the basement, everything went really well and looks fantastic. I put up the drywall before finding the answer to this question and need to figure this out before i finish painting it.

I am running the copper pipe through mainly wooden studs, it does however pass through some metal studs. I didnt use nylon gromets around the holes the copper is running through. Is this a problem? Do I need to pull the drywall down and redo this? I'm not sure if copper and metal studs will create an electrical charge and cause the copper to corrode.

Thank you for your time!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You don't want the copper touching the metal studs.

Now is the time to fix it.
They make plastic inserts that fit a 1-3/8" hole and they have winged clips that can be screwed in.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited:

seanc

Reaction score
well, I anchored the plumbing down with copper straps such that there is little to no chance of the pipes rubbing against the metal studs. Is this the only concern? I do not have to be worried about chemical/electrical reactions between the copper and the metal in the studs?

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Sean,
The issue is galvanic corrosion. Do a Google search and learn for yourself. If you have high relative humidity and the copper touches the galvanized studs, the zinc will be consumed first, and quickly (small relative anode area). Then the steel. The copper is the more noble of the 3 metals, so will not eat away much. You will likely end up with rusted studs. The process may stop when enough of the stud is eaten away to break contact with the pipe. If relative humidity is very low, nothing much is likely to happen.
If it were me, I'd fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks