Sewer Drain Pipe confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I am confused about the different 4" sewer drain pipe and how connections are made.

First, there is SCH 35 "PSM" sewer pipe that is green and designated by the ASTM D3034 Standard. It has a Bell fitting at one end and is intended to be connected with a gasket.

The second is just called "PVC sewer pipe", is colored white, and is governed by the ASTM D2729 standard. It too has a bell fitting at one end but I've found no mention of the method of connecting two pipes.

Both types of pipe fit into 4" Sewer and Drain fittings, but the fittings are white and don't indicated how they should be connected to the pipe.

PVC cement is indicated to be used on SCH 40 and SCH 80 pipe but doesn't say a word about any other types of PVC pipe. Can either of the above mentioned pipes be welded with PVC cement? If not, what is used? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

There is a "bushing" that fits on the green, and other color, S&D PVC pipe to make its o.d. equal to the normal sch. 40 fittings. The S&D pipe without a gasket bell can be joined by gluing its bell into a standard fitting, although the bushing is still the better way to do it.

Smith333

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to use the thinner pipe and fittings for an effluent filter manifold for my septic tank. The Sewer Tee and Sewer Cross fittings leave a smaller footprint inside the tank opening than standard Sch 40 fittings, so the assembly won't get in the way as much during pumping. This isn't an application that requires a watertight seal, but I don't want the connections falling apart either. Will PVC cement and primer do the trick for this application of thinner pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks